Too much Galaxy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woah....that will be bitter. Suggestion....when its fermented out dry hop about 120g of Citra for 7days, you have nothing to lose.

lukiferj said:
I think we have another contender for quote of the month.

Haha, yeah, this thread delivers, hopefully it keeps going until the beer is either consumed as some sort of weird sadomasochistic punishment or the more likely scenario of it being used as round up.

Sorry to be having a laugh at your expense Seato, but that is one hell of a way to learn how Galaxy goes early in the boil.

I think you just found a way to drink mega swill. 30% your brew, 70% mega swill in a glass and you might just get away with it.

Good luck

not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but if it's still cubed, make a similar beer but don't add any hops (or only a very small amount) then combine the batches and ferment them both

Thanks for all the words of wisdom fellow brewers.

I have been successful using Galaxy for bittering previously although I've obviously taken it to a new dimension. When I realised what I'd done, I laughed and then got sad. In hind sight, 30 grams would have been heaps at 60 minutes.

I considered the blend option but I'm going to leave it as is till it gets on tap. I've got two taps so if it beats me up after the first sip I'll blend out with subtle pale ale on the other.

I'll post when tasting, if anyone is from Newcastle area, AHB brewers welcome. Let me know if keen.

Victory favours the Bold.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1401651851.203639.jpg

Could revive the traditional shandy. If all else fails its probably a greener alternative to Round Up.

I do like Galaxy. ESB 17 litre fresh wort kit is very tasty.

Not to hijack the thread, but I did a 40L double batch with 40grams of amarillo 40 mins, 30g for 10 mins and cube hopped 15grams - I thought that might have overdone it, about 50grams per 20l?

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
Not to hijack the thread, but I did a 40L double batch with 40grams of amarillo 40 mins, 30g for 10 mins and cube hopped 15grams - I thought that might have overdone it, about 50grams per 20l?
Completely different hop. Amarillo will be fine.

I recently bottled a 23L batch with 450g galaxy. 185 IBUs. Tasted amazing out of the FV, I drank the last 100mL or so flat :D

Seato said:
Thanks for all the words of wisdom fellow brewers.

I have been successful using Galaxy for bittering previously although I've obviously taken it to a new dimension. When I realised what I'd done, I laughed and then got sad. In hind sight, 30 grams would have been heaps at 60 minutes.

I considered the blend option but I'm going to leave it as is till it gets on tap. I've got two taps so if it beats me up after the first sip I'll blend out with subtle pale ale on the other.

I'll post when tasting, if anyone is from Newcastle area, AHB brewers welcome. Let me know if keen.

Victory favours the Bold.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1401651851.203639.jpg
I keen for a tasting. I could decant a few of mine that are on tap and sample prior to hitting your bad boy. It may not be that bad :)

Awwww shiyeeet man this is gonna be a bitter beer. I presume you were going for a galaxy pale ale... I suggest next time you should do an IBU calculation before you try and wing your hop additions. If your boiling your hops your extracting bitterness. the longer you boil, the more bitterness extracted and the less flavour is extracted. I'm about to do a galaxy ale, and I want it to be super passionfruity and tropical, which I'm guess is what you're going for too if you want it to be hoppy.

I'm doing:

8g galaxy 10mins (5-6IBUs)
70g galaxy 0mins
70g galaxy dry hop

Luke1992 said:
Awwww shiyeeet man this is gonna be a bitter beer. I presume you were going for a galaxy pale ale... I suggest next time you should do an IBU calculation before you try and wing your hop additions. If your boiling your hops your extracting bitterness. the longer you boil, the more bitterness extracted and the less flavour is extracted. I'm about to do a galaxy ale, and I want it to be super passionfruity and tropical, which I'm guess is what you're going for too if you want it to be hoppy.

I'm doing:

8g galaxy 10mins (5-6IBUs)
70g galaxy 0mins
70g galaxy dry hop
I'm planning a Galaxy Ale this weekend too.....not doing a 96g addition at 60mins though. :unsure:

21g @ 10 = 10 ibu
46g @ Whirlpool for 10mins = 11ibu
42g dry hopped for 7days at 19c after ferment.

21lts of 4.5% abv

Latest posts

Back