Too much Galaxy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seato

Reaction score
I made a single batch in my keg king two pot system. 5.3kg of pale malt. During the boil I added 96g Galaxy for 60 minutes and then 33g Amarillo for 30 minutes. This was a no chill batch.
Have I gone too far? I do enjoy a hoppy beer but I'm a little scared.
Contributing factors ...
Beer in my human system whilst I'm using my beer production system ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1401413938.463365.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1401413965.129126.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1401414006.263335.jpg

You may enjoy a hoppy beer, but do you enjoy a bitter beer? Because it will be VERY bitter.

I added 9g @ 60mins of galaxy once and it was pretty bitter Best to use Galaxy very late, can be liberal with it then but not at 60mins.

Thats is about 150IBU by my calcs. It will be supremely bitter and with no malt backbone, will not be very enjoyable. The longer you boil your hops the more they contribute to bitterness. Additionally galaxy has high alpha acid levels which form the bittering compounds. Next time use less and use it later in the boil.

To add to your problems, I've found Galaxy not great as a bittering hop, I didn't like the resulting flavor, but I do like it as a late addition.

it might be a ripper mate. some instances of early hopped galaxy beers i've tried were amazing. some were a little too much but in the end they tend to even out. it might just need a bit more time to mature. RDWHAHB

A few months ago. I did something like that, maris otter with something like 15g galaxy at 60m plus some later additions of Amarillo and more galaxy. .......and it was very, very, very bitter. Great aroma though.

You've added 6xmore than I did! Good luck. Bet it smells amazing.

fletcher said:
it might be a ripper mate. some instances of early hopped galaxy beers i've tried were amazing. some were a little too much but in the end they tend to even out. it might just need a bit more time to mature. RDWHAHB
Agreed with Fletcher, let it sit for a few weeks (I let all my beers sit for at least 8) sometimes longer for galaxy bittered ones

Post some pics of your face after the first sip!

I've over hopped before and produced a very bitter beer.............

But not a disaster as I kegged it with lemonade and it proved very popular as a shandy. Knocked the keg over inside a week in the hot weather.

It has to be pretty seriously horrible not to be salvageable.

"96g Galaxy for 60 minutes and then 33g Amarillo for 30 minutes. This was a no chill batch."

Man that's potent. I think you've brewed a concentrate. Might be perfect for blending with the commercial stuff like Carlton Draught, Toohey's VB etc.

Perhaps you could patent it.

Damn dude - that will be an impressive beer... for one reason or another!
If you want to get a good handle on hop utlisation then check out Ray Daniel's book "Designing Great Beers". Some additional info here Seato. If you wanted to utilise hops in a 60 min boil then choose some with much lower AAs.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Jeezus.......not even my ex was that bitter....

Haha, quote of the month easily, may push for quote of the year.

On topic; Galaxy has a harsh bitterness to my tastes when used early, I'd wager a lobster it's destined for the lawn.

Did you add any other hops? Maybe a couple hundred grams of cascade at flameout?

That's going to up there near 200ibu's I bet, depending of course on your brew size.

Donske said:
I'd wager a lobster it's destined for the lawn.
Or bottle it and sell it as hop extract. I just paid $7.50 for a 15ml bottle to increase the bitterness of a under bittered APA.

Might be on to something, other than a dry tongue.

Holy S#!t man.
That is going to melt your face. Your tongue is going to learn how to cry and if you swallow it, you're stomach will grow a fist and punch you in your already melted face.

Donske said:
Haha, quote of the month easily, may push for quote of the year.

On topic; Galaxy has a harsh bitterness to my tastes when used early, I'd wager a lobster it's destined for the lawn.
I think we have another contender for quote of the month.

Not For Horses said:
Holy S#!t man.
That is going to melt your face. Your tongue is going to learn how to cry and if you swallow it, you're stomach will grow a fist and punch you in your already melted face.

Back