Too much Galaxy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pratty1 said:
I'm planning a Galaxy Ale this weekend too.....not doing a 96g addition at 60mins though. :unsure:

21g @ 10 = 10 ibu
46g @ Whirlpool for 10mins = 11ibu
42g dry hopped for 7days at 19c after ferment.

21lts of 4.5% abv
I can't decide whether I'm going to make my boil addition at 5mins or 10mins. I think 5mins would extract a greater flavour layer with some IBUs...
I'm going for about 30IBUs in my whirlpool, although I suspect I won't notice them too much in the brew... So final IBU will hopefully taste like about 20! So disappointed that Grain and Grape ran out of flowers this week!

Well the day has finally come. I've done a cold rack transfer and had a taste.

Yes, it's bitter.

Still a palatable beer!

It still has some all grain shining through the galaxy haze.

Don't believe me, best come have a taste ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1402638498.775504.jpg

Searo

My galaxy IPA is just ready now too! 90 IBUs and didn't turn out nearly as bad as I thought.

I've been watching thus thread with interest. I accidentally ordered 90g of 14.6% galaxy and am scared to use it.
Appreciate the follow-up. Might give it a whirl in my next brew. Not that I need any more hairs on my chest.

If I was to do this again...........

Go to a double batch and leave the hop additions as they were. Maybe some Munich grain content to add some balance and make it a little more like an APA.

To be continued.......Seato

Seato said:
US05 for its malt and hop enhancing attributes
I've never noticed US05 doing either of those two things. Typically, a yeast will favour malt OR yeast, not both (in my limited experience at least). US05 is a pretty neutral yeast, IMHO.

Fermentation will take some of the bitterness away. Give it some time and you will lose some more of the bitterness. Might turn out OK in the long run. I like dry and bitter especially in hot weather.

Back