Too Much Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezza79

Reaction score
hello all.
im new to the world of kegging and have a question.

i have just bought a beer fridge which came with a full keg. when i first got it home the beer was great, nice and creamy and very easy drinking with not too much carbonation.
so each time i finished having beer i was turing the gas off and when returning for more beer i was turning it back on to about 4 psi. this afternoon i turned the gas back on and the beer seemed not so creamy and quite fizzy.
the keg held pressure of about 4 psi overnight with the gas off. SO>>>>> my question is....... how should i leave the beer when not drinking it? do you have to turn off the gas and burp the keg every time? do you leave the gas on a lower pressure?

any advice on this would be great!

thanks.j

Your keg shouldnt take on anymore gas @4psi, this is quiet low pressure for serving. I run my serving pressure @ 9psi and leave it at that all the time(i dont turn it off when finished drinking)

Sounds to me like your creaming/frothing is comming from undercarbed beer or too low serving pressure ?

do you have to turn off the gas and burp the keg every time?

You don't need to burp your keg. This will remove the gas that is in the headspace then the gas will just equal out between the pressure in the liquid to the pressure in the headspace.
I leave my gas at serving pressure. Provided you have no leaks you are not using any extra gas to do this.

Back