Too Much Carapils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so you won't get starches or unfermentables.

Slight correction - I was referring to starch conversion/diastatic power etc but you will get dextrins to give body - the point of adding such a grain. The dextrins are unfermentable and will give more body

You know what? I reckon it'll be fine...

You have a can and a kilo and a bit of malt extract as well as the carapils. In AG equivalent that's probably 5 odd kilos of grain so your carapils addition is maybe 25%. Weyermann say in their guidelines 5-10% up to 40%...

It may be a little sweeter than you wanted, but it'll be well drinkable

So the 40g of Saaz I have already added wont balance up the sweetness? I bought a 50g bag, so I still have an extra 10g. When would be the best time to add it?

10g of hops won't make much of a difference. What does it taste like?

10g of hops won't make much of a difference. What does it taste like?

Haven't actually tasted it. Its only been fermenting since wedneday, so it'll probably still be petty sweet anyway.

Its all going into a keg, so at least I dont have to waste time bottling it. I'll just run it and see

I'd rather drink it than tip it and if it's too thick/sweet, I think the blending idea is the best

I just tasted some of the wort. Its down to about 1020 and tastes pretty good. Doesn't taste overly sweet and you can still taste some bitterness from the hops. I reckon it might end up ok

There was a bit of a head on the sample which took a while to go down. It might end up being freaking foamy

He might of changed his mind since it may be worthwhile bottling after all.
I'll try to be more diligent in future anyway, just for the hell of it.

I agree with those who have said allow it to ferment, drink it and learn from the outcome. After the gravity sample, it sounds like it's going to be acceptable. You are going to end up with a F.G higher than what had been planned so keep this in mind when taking your samples prior to kegging.

You are not the only person to do such a thing. Many have done worse. I was told a story by a brewer that makes your carapils use seem light handed. He had never mashed before and wanted to brew a pilsner. He went to the LHBS for advice on mashing and to purchase the ingredients for the pilsner. The owner of the LHBS sent him away somewhat confused about the mashing process and 4.5kg of carapils. This was the only grain supplied and he was told to use the 4.5kg to make the 20ish litres of beer. The choice of carapils as a base malt for a pilsner was seemingly based on the fact that it was the only grain he had in stock that had pils in the name. Obviously, the beer wasn't really beer at all and the brewer thought he had not followed the directions correctly. He was eventually made aware of the erroneous information he was given at the LHBS and chose never to go back.

I wouldn't get fussed about it. The beer you get may not be what you originally intended to brew, but it will still be drinkable.
The Durden Park Beer Circle's book Old English Beers and How to Brew Them often uses a 50/50 mix of pale malt and carapils to emulate 18th and 19th century grain quality.

damn, I thought there would be a nice easy answer to this, but it appears not.

Thanks for all the responses. i reckon I will just see what happens, maybe try some adding some extra hops

I'll let ya know

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but ........ how did it turn out?

In Wellington last year at the Weyermann masterclass, the guy says that Carapils can be used up to 30 to 40% of the grain bill to produce lower alcohol beers and that is actually what they sell Carapils for to the commercial breweries in the UK, Europe and the USA. That raised a few eyebrows. I bet it turned out fine.

Is there a way you could use a dry enzyme to start breaking down unfermentables but then stop it when you got to the desired body / FG ?

yeah this one turned out fine. A little low in ABV as the SG stopped a bit higher than it should of, but not too much. Tasted fine though

Latest posts

Back