Too Cold To Ferment?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow9999

Reaction score
Hi,

I am starting out on my brewing journey and am up to number 3 now (with good success with the first two). I am taking very small steps with regard to altering the instructions in the can of goo.

I have just done a Cascade Spicy Ghost with 500g LDME and 750g of DEX. Its cold down here in Melbourne at the moment and the fermenter thermometer is currently showing 16 degrees (I know i should be using this cold weather opportunity to use a real lager yeast). The lid of the fermenter is covered with tiny bulbs of condensation, I have no bubbles out of the airlock (but i could put this down to not having a 100% seal between the lid and fermenter as i can see condensation bubbles on one side of the lids seal, outside the rubber seal). I do not have a "scum ring" at the moment however and I do not have a strong brewery smell as I did with my other two brews.

Should I be concerned that my brew is not fermenting correctly? Is 16 too cold for the kit yeast on a Cascade Spicy Ghost?

Hi,

I am starting out on my brewing journey and am up to number 3 now (with good success with the first two). I am taking very small steps with regard to altering the instructions in the can of goo.

I have just done a Cascade Spicy Ghost with 500g LDME and 750g of DEX. Its cold down here in Melbourne at the moment and the fermenter thermometer is currently showing 16 degrees (I know i should be using this cold weather opportunity to use a real lager yeast). The lid of the fermenter is covered with tiny bulbs of condensation, I have no bubbles out of the airlock (but i could put this down to not having a 100% seal between the lid and fermenter as i can see condensation bubbles on one side of the lids seal, outside the rubber seal). I do not have a "scum ring" at the moment however and I do not have a strong brewery smell as I did with my other two brews.

Should I be concerned that my brew is not fermenting correctly? Is 16 too cold for the kit yeast on a Cascade Spicy Ghost?

Its fine willow....just may take a couple more days to ferment.
Cheers
Steve

Good to hear :) Im very new to this and like the share market at the moment maybe i should stop looking day to day and be patient otherwise i might start freaking out.

Is the Cascade Spicy Ghost a decent tasting "quaffing" beer? I have a bad feeling i have way too much dex and its going to be very sweet tasting. Next brew I will start to experiment with the hops.

Good to hear :) Im very new to this and like the share market at the moment maybe i should stop looking day to day and be patient otherwise i might start freaking out.

Is the Cascade Spicy Ghost a decent tasting "quaffing" beer? I have a bad feeling i have way too much dex and its going to be very sweet tasting. Next brew I will start to experiment with the hops.

patience in this hobby takes years to master - I still havent cracked it.

Cant comment on the taste of the Spicy Ghost as I havent tried it. Have you had a look at www.hbkitreviews.com. There are some reviews for it:

http://www.hbkitreviews.com/view-id-59-cas...st-draught.html

Cheers
Steve

If you are concerned you can use your hydrometer and check the specific gravity - as long as its falling your wort is becoming beer.

AFAIK, the dextrose is easily fermentable and therefore shouldn't leave any 'sweetness' but too much can make your beer thinner (ie more alcohol without flavour, body you get from malt extracts). I think you should be fine with the amount you used.

Like Steve said it will just take a little longer to ferment completely. Lower temps just put the yeast 'to sleep' where higher temps (>30) start to kill them off.

Latest posts

Back