Too Cold To Brew – Spare A Thought For Tassie’s Brewers This Winte

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
Tassie’s Beer Scene Is More Than Boag’s & Cascade.
It’s brew night in my house…the wife and kids are away for the evening and I am all ready to brew my favourite Porter recipe. The problem is, I live in Hobart and we are in the middle of a cold snap, its about 3 degrees as I type this…so there is NO CHANCE that I will be heading up to my shed with no heating to brew and beer tonight.
Instead, I sit here on my couch typing this article....
Read More

3 degrees is better than -3 in Canberra - and all I have to do is chuck on the snow gear and I'm toasty ;)
All the home brews numbing my sensitivity to cold probably should be factored in too

#1 reason I took off from Orange. Some benefits, like 'crash chilling' and lagering occurred naturally. Wort chilling could occur in minutes, and fermenting fridges didn't need to be plugged in. However the reality of living in a fridge for 2/3 of the year doesn't float well with me. I'd rather be sweating.

chrisluki said:
It’s brew night in my house…the wife and kids are away for the evening and I am all ready to brew my favourite Porter recipe. The problem is, I live in Hobart and we are in the middle of a cold snap, its about 3 degrees as I type this…so there is NO CHANCE that I will be heading up to my shed with no heating to brew and beer tonight.
Read More

Nice write-up, mate. :)

I rather like cold weather myself, and therefore SWMBO and I tend not to use the heater in the house more than we really have to. We switch the heater off overnight as there's little reason to keep the house warm while we're under covers anyway. Fermentation, however...

If I had an actual brew shed though, I reckon I might brave it. Nothing like a bit of work to keep you warm!

Yes...well..

Capture.PNG

moooove to somewhere it is warm

we're in the middle of a cold snap here too and i still don't need a heater, can do a brew and leave out overnight to chill no probs

weather here is a bit like where stu is only milder (and love it)

I love winter for brewing. Would rather that than brewing in the shed when it's 40°C outside and a fair bit hotter inside.

Although I do crank up the heat charm when it's frosty.

chrisluki said:
Read More

C,mon, get a potbelly for ya shed...or wear thermals.
Love the pic/ Tassie.

Myself and the better half would move there t,morrow if work (suitable) was available.

Snow, rain and sun all happening in the 'Norch this morning. Good altbier weather.

Vinnies urges Tasmanians to donate warm clothes

ABC, Susan Browning, 28 minutes ago

St Vincent de Paul's Tasmanian op shops are running out of warm clothes and the charity is in desperate need of more volunteers, it says.

Representatives from the 37 shops run by the St Vincent de Paul Society told a meeting in Launceston that donations were down this winter for the first time in three years.

The floods and fires that have beset Tasmania this year were cited as a possible reason for the shortage.

"Normally it is consistent, this year it hasn't been," said Peter Lyall, chair of the charity's state centres committee.

"Normally we're able to cope but clothing is the main worry.

"You know, people have been fairly generous in supporting [victims of] disasters such as floods and bushfires."

Mr Lyall said if people had spare warm clothing for men, women and children, it was time to "bite the bullet" and bring the items down to their local Vinnies shop. [continues]

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-23/vinnies-in-need-of-warm-clothes-and-volunteers/7654698

Latest posts

Back