Too Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes1977

Reaction score
Just took a sample from the fermenter and I'm worried it's going to be too bitter as I used 120g of bittering hops!

Any ideas on how I could Reduce the bitterness?

Cheers

Wes

120g is a lot. What is the batch size? What style of beer and what was your recipe?

You can dry hop and bottle condition for a while but it will probably still be harsh.

You can make up another batch that has no bittering hops and combine them, then bottle/keg.

I have had similar fears at this stage of brewing and found the bitterness has mellowed in all cases. Whilst dry hopping is supposed to increase perceived bitterness, I think a bitter beer that is backed with good aroma is better balanced and more enjoyable. Otherwise, I imagine you could try adding some less fermentable sugar to increase body.. I've not tried it but I think lactose may do this? I'm sure come smart cookie will confirm or deny.

wes1977 said:
Just took a sample from the fermenter and I'm worried it's going to be too bitter as I used 120g of bittering hops!

Any ideas on how I could Reduce the bitterness?

Cheers

Wes
We really need to know the hopping schedule before much can be answered about this! 120g at 60 or minutes is a shit load, unless it was some Euro variety in a bad season at 2%!

So repost the details x1 grams at y1 minutes, x2 grams at y2 minutes etc

Dry hopping at around 2g per lt or more can smooth of the bite off bitterness I have found. Not sure why. Found this with 2 keg brews and dry hopping one and not the other. Beside that you'll probably just get used to it or may just like it as is. Hop heads go high like 70 IBU's. even higher. I did a very pale ale once at 58 IBU and was one of my best.

You could make up 5 litres of unbittered wort with dme or lme and add that to the fermentation (assuming you have room in the fermenter). That way you are increasing volume and maintaining desired alcohol content, whilst also achieving a reduction in IBUs. You will however reduce your desired hop profile, so may have to do some dry hopping if thats the style you are after.

Just drink it. You'll feel it behind the ears but it'll be fine! Nothing can possibly go wrong!

You can post mix if too bitter in a beer jug and then drink.

LOL - IBU: 100+ (284 calculated)

If we all brewed beers like that, Yob would be getting about in a Lamborghini and sporting Italian tailored suits.

Cheers,
D80

That's a popular recipe.

I'm gonna brew it myself soon, but switch some of the hops and reduce the bittering addition so that calculated IBU sits just above 100 (not coz I'm scared or anything ;), just because I reckon it might be a waste of hops once you go above the threshold that is noticeable to the human palate).

When are you doing the dry hopping?

That will balance out the bitterness somewhat with resins into flavour and aroma compounds.

280 odd IBU? Yes it will be a tad on the bitter side. You made your bed...

As mentioned, there is a threshold for bitterness in the human tongue somewhere around the 100IBU mark I believe. So diluting with more wort will not do the trick unless you dilute by 1:3 or thereabouts, which will result in a very different beer unless you brew the same gain bill. Thats assuming the bitterness is in a linear relationship with volume?

Thanks for all the feedback guys, so in summary pay attention to the IBU's before brewing and grow some testicles and drink it!

I dry hopped it last night with 200g, so hopefully that mellows it out a little. I like bitter beers but there is bitter and there is bitter!

Back