Todays Brew (Kentish Ale)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
Trying to emulate Seven Sheds Kentish Ale.

Kentish Ale (English Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 7.8 (EBC): 15.4
Bitterness (IBU): 36.1 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

94.54% Golden Promise Malt
5.25% Caramunich I
0.21% Roasted Barley

0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Ella (15% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 14°C with Danstar Nottingham

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Hop bill looks good. Ideally you'd use AUS cascade and more of it than the Ella to get about the same IBU. Use a different dry english yeast. Ditch the roasted barley, Use a portion of munich for the base and a light and a dark xtal. And up your gravity. FG is about right but the beer has a higher ABV.

Ok, while that looks a good, basic recipe in general, two questions spring to mind. Firstly: 14°C? I know Notto can go that low, but my memory of the Seven Sheds wasn't that it was a psuedo-lager or cream ale; more a pleasant pale ESB. Somewhere between 17-22°C would be more on target IMHO (and possibly a more hop-forward, or rather a less hop-muting yeast; S04 perhaps?) And what's with the Ella and Cascade? The Kentish Ale I had (granted, 2 years ago) only listed Goldings and Fuggles, if memory serves. Not that what you've posted would be a bad beer by any stretch, just not a clone, or even a ballpark emulation.

Drop the roast barley, add a lager yeast, triple the hops, stir it with your left hand and boil it for 120 mins :)

super_simian said:
Not that what you've posted would be a bad beer by any stretch, just not a clone, or even a ballpark emulation.
You'd be surprised how close he is.

be interested to see how this turns out, do enjoy the Kentish ale

Been finished 3 varieties of Tas grown flowers for a while. With Ella being relatively new, you can see there's been some changes over the years.

For an authentic Kentish ale, ie - one brewed in Kent such as a Sheperd Neame variety, you wouldn't be using Cascade or Ella.
Saying that, last time I was in the UK I noticed that a lot of the traditional breweries were using Cascade in some of their ales. It was usually in some of their newer brews and Summer ales not in their traditional ales.
Whats the Seven Sheds Kentish Ale like, any good and how does it compare to something like Spitfire?

Not really meant to be in the style of spitfire. Its named after the Kentish municipality in Tas where the brewery resides.

slcmorro said:
Trying to emulate Seven Sheds Kentish Ale.

Kentish Ale (English Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 7.8 (EBC): 15.4
Bitterness (IBU): 36.1 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

94.54% Golden Promise Malt
5.25% Caramunich I
0.21% Roasted Barley

0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Ella (15% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 14°C with Danstar Nottingham

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
I just plugged that recipe through Brewmate and with the hop AA and the amount I only get around 26 IBU not 36 as your recipe says??

Any thoughts?

jlm said:
Not really meant to be in the style of spitfire. Its named after the Kentish municipality in Tas where the brewery resides.
Ahh I see. That makes sense.
Thanks for the info jlm?
If in Tassy is it worth a visit to Seven Sheds?

If you're in the neighbourhood, yeah, a few free tastes and a quick look won't eat up much of your day. Just don't expect to see some shiny DME plant or anything like that, more like what you can crank out 1000L of beer with a LOT of hard work and the bare necessities. Railton is off the main hwy in that area but not so far out of the way you can't bludge some beers off Goomba or Lagerbomb later in the day.

Gents, without sounding like a pompous arse - This is the recipe pretty much given to me word for word, by the master brewer at Seven Sheds, with very slight tweaks (i.e - roasted barley for colour). No joke :)

Back