To Buy Or Hire?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkB

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Well another topic on the CO2 bottle choice. I have done a bit of research in my local area (Rockingham WA) and can't decide which way to go. Do I buy or do I hire?

The options are;

To Buy
2.3kg cylinder on a swap basis $250-280 with refills $30-35
2.6kg cylinder on a swap or refill deal $220 with $30 refills
6.8kg cylinder on a swap or refill deal $370 with $50 refills

To Hire
d size 6kg $13.10 p/m (charged daily invoiced monthly) with refills $48

I figure it takes 24months hire to equal the purchase of a new 6kg bottle or about 15 months for a 2.6kg.

Pros for Hire;
1. always a supplier available for exchange.
2. no maintenance costs for cylinder.
3. if the kegging does not last the distance I can just return it.
Cons;
1. dead money in rent
2. Bigger cylinder size means more storage required

Pros for buying outright;
1. I own it
2. Smaller size
Cons;
1. restrictions on filling/swapping locations

I want something that is going to be hassle free when time comes to refill it whilst being economical and not having to travel to the other end of Perth to do it. For this reason I have pretty much ruled out the extinguisher option.

Whats your opinion?

Cheers guys

If it's a swap deal you don't have to worry about cylinder maintenance, do you? Presumably they'd swap it with what's on hand, not find a bottle that has the same test date as yours and then refuse you when it runs out. If they give you one that's older than yours, you complain, and if they give you a newer one you keep your mouth shut.

I assume the 2.3is an Air-Up
The 2.6kg is a Keg King ?

The 2.6 sounds a better deal, but check on here as there was talk about them maybe not being fully compliant?

I'm runnig a 2.3 Air-up and it cost $24 at the LHBS for a refil. It has paid it self off already :)

QldKev

what state are you in?

in melb we can get F size cylinders (read massive size) for $22 per year rental and $60 swap over i think. these things are massive and would easily last the best part of 3 years if you did not have any leaks.

what state are you in?

in melb we can get F size cylinders (read massive size) for $22 per year rental and $60 swap over i think. these things are massive and would easily last the best part of 3 years if you did not have any leaks.

What company does that deal Fents?

My yearly rental is now due again (Supagas $120 for a ~10kg cylinder) and i am considering my options....

what state are you in?

Which gas company is this from?

QldKev

Hi Mark,

I don't know about Rockingham, but I bought my CO2 bottle from my LHBS for about $230 and haven't yet needed a refill in near on 6 months. Personally I just prefered to actually own something, and I don't feel like I'm wasting dollars if I'm not using it for any reason.
Also, if you decide to get rid of it for any reason, I'm sure you'd still get a pretty penny selling it 2nd hand.

That's my 2c :)

what state are you in?

the cylenders and gas are from BOC but through a retailer. The F size are so huge, heavy and old techology (read steel bottle), that there's not a big call for them so they rent them out uber cheap. I have one. piccy is in my gallery . once the f size bottles are phased out completely it will be cheaper in the long run to buy a cylinder.

If your in Melb go see Dave at Greensborough Homebrew

edit: link added to gallery

What company does that deal Fents?

My yearly rental is now due again (Supagas $120 for a ~10kg cylinder) and i am considering my options....

yep as CM2 said its BOC but through a homebrew store (Greensborough, Vic).

only problem is you need two peole to load it and two people to unload it and never i repeat never ask your missus to help carry it full, you'll be in the shit for weeks.

Does anybody know were you can hire them in Perth, as we are using soda stream and it has cost us more then buying a bottle! I just cant outlay $250.00 at the moment.

Does anybody know were you can hire them in Perth, as we are using soda stream and it has cost us more then buying a bottle! I just cant outlay $250.00 at the moment.

only an 8 hour drive across the border mate ;) plus i know you want to go to mrs parma's again.

8 hr drive to cross the nulla...fents your dreaming. that might get you as far as adelaide. ive done it twice and thats enough

Gosh there I was thinking I was getting help!

Ill fly over... I love Melbourne so next year sometime!

Adelaide first! but back to the CO2 bottle

sorrt KT. you could try calling a boc dealer and see what price they are charging for a F size. thats about the best advice I can give you.

actually no its not. if there's a retailer near you that stocks BOC gas bottles ask to see if they can get in a f size bottle and how much it will be. it should be cheap.

SOS welding supplies in Bayswater hires them out. If you're lucky (or possibly unlucky) he'll give you a taste of his grappa out the back as well... ;)

But just ring Air Liquide or BOC and they'll put you onto a reseller closer to Freo...

Just called there $31 per year + $68 for gas and Swap. So $99 to get one from shop, thinking about this.

Graeme

Cheers Ben and Brett....

better option then soda stream....

sorry kaytee thought u were in adel for some weird reason.

I would just go ahead and buy one. If you really decide that you don't want to keg anymore within the 24 months, you could easily sell it probably for at least 50-60% of it's new value. You won't though.

Latest posts

Back