Tips for cleaning new stainless gear - and jiggly butterfly valve?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
I remember when getting my stainless steel fermenter from Brewtech they recommended trisodium phosphate clean before use.

Is that the way to ensure new stainless gear is clean of residues etc? I just bought a tri-clover butterfly valve for it from Kegland, and wonder if I should use TSP or soaking in percarbonate is enough.

By the way, the collar where the valve lever connects (and thus the lever too) moves a bit - you can jiggle the whole bit up and down, although the valve inside stays still, is that normal :)

Cheers,
B

Last edited:
PBW (BBW from my local) would be better than just Perk as it contains wetting agents as well as oil dispersant.

That said if you soaked in hot Perk (>60oC) for half an hour or even overnight, I doubt much oil would escape.
I lube butterfly valves with a good quality food grade lube, they last and seal a lot better with a bit of lube.
Mark

Speaking of food grade lube, how do you apply that and keep things sanitary?

Does it stay lubricated after subsquent perc and sanitiser applications, or do you lube each brew?

Cheers,
B

Mostly lube the pivots; they often pass through the rubber and into the stainless body.
How resistant the lube is to being cleaned off will depend on lots of factors but generally the better the grease the longer between applications. I use a good food grade lube on keg O-Rings and other easy accessible fittings. When it comes to stuff like valve internals that I don’t want to pull apart every couple of weeks, more often use a really good silicone food grade grease.
Mark

I remember when getting my stainless steel fermenter from Brewtech they recommended trisodium phosphate clean before use.

Is that the way to ensure new stainless gear is clean of residues etc? I just bought a tri-clover butterfly valve for it from Kegland, and wonder if I should use TSP or soaking in percarbonate is enough.

By the way, the collar where the valve lever connects (and thus the lever too) moves a bit - you can jiggle the whole bit up and down, although the valve inside stays still, is that normal :)

Cheers,
B
using a percarbonate-based cleaner like PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) can also be an excellent alternative. Percarbonate cleaners are highly effective at removing organic materials and stains, and they are often preferred in the brewing community for their cleaning capabilities.

To clean your new tri-clover butterfly valve, you can either follow Brewtech's recommendation of using TSP or opt for soaking it in a percarbonate solution. Both methods should ensure a thorough cleaning, but always make sure to follow the cleaner's instructions and rinse thoroughly after cleaning.

Regarding the collar on your butterfly valve that connects to the lever, a slight amount of movement or play is relatively normal. This play is generally there to allow for smooth operation and to accommodate any slight misalignments during installation. As long as the valve itself remains stable and doesn't leak, the slight jiggle in the collar should not be a concern.

Back