Time To Clean You Beer Taps , Dont Be Lazy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Hey Guys how do you decide when your taps are so filthy that you really feel obliged to clean them.

when your beer tastes foul .
when your mates complain of excess flatulence .
when even your stomach seems to giving you problems .
when floaties start appearing in your beer .
when your all you beer all starts tasting like lambic.
when your pilsners start looking like a brown ale .
when a colony of fruit flys make home in your taps .

Or do you have a two weekly strenuous cleaning program like i do? :rolleyes:

Pumpy ;)

Well as i have picnic taps stored away in the fridge they are pretty safe and have beer flowing thru them several times a day. I do give each one a clean out with nappisan when i am cleaning my kegs and a flush with cold water.

The biggest PITA is the disconnects getting all gunky.

Mmmmm good timing Pumpy.......... Will hot PBW mine tomorrow night!

I have noticed the odd floaty that could not have got passed the filter!

My Celli does need regular cleaning otherwise it gets clogged with gunk.... :icon_vomit:

My Celli does need regular cleaning otherwise it gets clogged with gunk.... :icon_vomit:

Raven19

I find the Cellis are fine with pale beers but brown ales and dark beers gunk up .

I suppose where they are designed in Italy they dont have dark beers

Pumpy :)

Mmmmm good timing Pumpy.......... Will hot PBW mine tomorrow night!

I have noticed the odd floaty that could not have got passed the filter!

Tony ,

I think Hot PBW would take the luxurious gold plating off my taps .

What dilution do you use ?

Pumpy , :)

I wouldn 't touch that tap that has your pilsner in it, leave it till I get around there and I'll clean the contents of it for you...... :lol:
Franko

Ahh about a table spoon in 5 liters of tap hot water.

Cleanes my kegs out like new.

I hook it up the the beer line and pump it through...... let it sit for 10 Min and run a bit more through. When it comes out clear after a couple pours its done.

Full hot water rinse after and hook back up to the keg of beer.

cheers

Always take the opportunity when cleaning a keg i clean the lines

This is usually before the taps get bad

I clean when the beer gets that Apple aroma of every monthe which ever comes first.

Pump, are you serious? Can you get stomach problems from dirty taps?

Having my own gut problems, not drinking beer so it's not dirty taps, but the painkillers block up the pipework :lol:

Cheers,

Screwy

Pumpy, my issues with the Celli probably comes about from having 4 different kegs, and one tap. If I emptied kegs quicker then it probably would not be as big an issue.

Need more mates around to help me drain some of these kegs!

I clean when the beer gets that Apple aroma of every monthe which ever comes first.

Pump, are you serious? Can you get stomach problems from dirty taps?

Having my own gut problems, not drinking beer so it's not dirty taps, but the painkillers block up the pipework :lol:

Cheers,

Screwy

Screwy I dont think so but you now me would not let a good story get in the way of a good post

pumpy

I hook it up the the beer line and pump it through...... let it sit for 10 Min and run a bit more through. When it comes out clear after a couple pours its done.

cheers

I've had a ******* problem with my taps moulding over.. obviously, the room where my kegging fridge resides is a mold haven (there are vines growing between the ceiling and roof - long story).. but, there's absolutely zero mould on the walls, floor or otherwise.. however, the shit gunks up in my taps straight away.. hoping the summer heat cleans up the situation.

I recently ran boiling pbw thru the lines/tap for a minute or two, capped it with one of those rubber end plug things, tap on again spitting to ensure all full. Left the shit for two days. Ran another keg of hot PBW behind it to clear the lines, tap.. and yep, out came tons of green gunk then ran clear. BUT, to be on the safe side I removed and quickly tore down the taps.. sure enough tons of mould still inside the shank and rectangular fitting. Took a good scrub with brush and warm soapy water, ear buds to confirm clean, back to PBW and flush the full system for several minutes with saniclean.

Point is, nothing beats a full tear down, thorough clean and reassembly. Pity I'm doing it every couple of weeks now.

In interim, after pulling every beer I shoot the hell out of the tap, up in, in the front, etc. with diluted iodopor then quickly wrap with a fresh piece of cling film. Now treating my taps like a food product (and deservedly so).

PITA and after my third dubbel tonight nearly spaced the cling film and let her rip.. will take some getting used to.

Will report back if this is at all effective, in two weeks or so at next tear down.

reVox
DSC01202.jpg

i realise this thread is all about "regular" cleaning where I'm chasing a problem.. but my point stands nothing beats a full tear down.. obviously PBW, etc. is in order for flushing of lines.

Pumpy, my issues with the Celli probably comes about from having 4 different kegs, and one tap. If I emptied kegs quicker then it probably would not be as big an issue.

Need more mates around to help me drain some of these kegs!

Raven I will send Franko around , he is always willing to help me empty my kegs and I keep showing him how to make AG hoping that one day he will learn to make his own ;)

Pumpy

cheers

Tony is that still the free sample Ross sent that lasted a long while

pumpy

- slightly off topic, but - I've notice the outside of my celli's have become a little rougher and have some small (I assume corrosive) spots. I'm thinking it must be the occassional spray of star san I do up the taps after I use them that's getting to the outside and corroding :unsure:
Anywho, is there a recommended 'external' cleaner / polish for celli taps?

Little bit :icon_offtopic: but,

When you all flush your lines do you use C02 or something else to save on your gas?

Farside.

Back