Thoughts On Vegetarianism

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roo can be a little gamey but i like it unless you wet cook over done roo is very tough.

Roo is rather nice, has a velvety fine texture and is very lean, so it needs to be cooked rare or it is as tought as boot leather

Its healthy as well as it contains more iron than beef

Personaly I think we should eat a lot more of it mas it is a healthier meat and is totally sustainable, unlike sheep and beef

Its just a shame that the " AWE, but they are so cute " brigade cant see the reality

roo rocks. really lovely as a steak and has a nice gameeyness to it. even the dried roo tails they make for dogs taste ok (yeah ok im a sick man, but the cat likes them too. thats how good they are).

emu is even gamey-ier and even tougher is cooked too much. it really has to be rare. nice though. i still prefer roo.

god i could go a nice blue steak.

more info to go towards the 'we are meant to eat meat' - our now surperflous appendix was used for digesting leaves/grass etc as primates. Evidence can be seen in herbivorous animals which has large active appendix. we dont. cause we evolved to use a better food source ie meat. we grew bigger brains and evolved becuase we started eating meat.

Hutz: Thank you, Dr. Hibbert.... I rest my case.
Judge: You rest your case?!
Hutz: What? Oh no, I thought that was just a figure of speech. Case closed.

roo rocks. really lovely as a steak and has a nice gameeyness to it. even the dried roo tails they make for dogs taste ok (yeah ok im a sick man, but the cat likes them too. thats how good they are).

emu is even gamey-ier and even tougher is cooked too much. it really has to be rare. nice though. i still prefer roo.

god i could go a nice blue steak.

more info to go towards the 'we are meant to eat meat' - our now surperflous appendix was used for digesting leaves/grass etc as primates. Evidence can be seen in herbivorous animals which has large active appendix. we dont. cause we evolved to use a better food source ie meat. we grew bigger brains and evolved becuase we started eating meat.

Hutz: Thank you, Dr. Hibbert.... I rest my case.
Judge: You rest your case?!
Hutz: What? Oh no, I thought that was just a figure of speech. Case closed.

lol, when did this thread become a discussion of the flavour of different meats? :lol:

CM2, my earlier posts discussed the physiological differences between herbivores, omnivores and carnivores. Yes we do have a vestigial caecum (appendix). But the absence of an organ like the caecum does not introduce a new function (meat eating), it simply removes an old function (grass eating). The lack of the ability to digest grass does not in any way suggest that we are metabolically required to eat meat. It simply means we cannot digest grass. And contrary to what meat eaters think, vegetarians don't just eat grass :D.

If you want to support the "we are meant to eat meat" argument (and "meant" implies that it is a dietary requirement), then you need to focus on any physiological changes or functions that confer that requirement. As an example, cats are obligate carnivores. They have an absolute dietary requirement for taurine (only present in meat), due to a deficiency in the ability to synthesise this amino acid. We, however, are capable of synthesising taurine and all essential amino acids for us can be supplied in a complete vegetarian diet. And there simply aren't any nutrients that aren't able to be obtained from a vegetarian diet. Are they as easy to obtain as from meat? No and anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about. But for a conscientious vegetarian they are there.

Despite their name, canines are, for us, as vestigial as our caecum. Similarly we never developed the short alimentary canal of obligate carnivores, who are "meant to eat meat". This is why I believe that there is a lot of scientific investigation into the link between meat consumption and colon cancer. Meat is simply not meant to stay in the intestines for as long as it does in humans (note that is my scientific opinion).

We are not obligate carnivores. Neither are we herbivores with a caecum. My earlier post (a few up) provides several links to scientific investigations that provide evidence that vegetarians are as healthy as those of us who eat meat, providing they know how to do it properly (and not all do). For me, those investigations remove the "requirement" of humans to eat meat and, as omnivores, simply moves the decision/debate into the realm of ethics, tradition and philosophy, not health or physiology.

Cheers

James

Mmmmm Steak

TBoneSteak1.jpg

Roo slow cooked with stout or brown ale plus spuds is neither gamey nor tough.

:icon_offtopic:

Sorry to go O/T...being an ethics nut I have nothing to contribute as I am not interested in writing half a page to either be ignored or misconstrued. I applaud all who are going to the effort though! There are some fine lines of reasoning and then there are some absolute piles of well meaning fallacious waffle.

Somewhere along the way the "ought" argument (which is essentially what this issue is) descended into the "is" argument and the hardy likes of Ronin have managed to retain their apodictic propositions in the face of much sophistry.

Anyway, just thought I'd point out that roo does not have to be cooked a la steak style in order for it to appease the fussiest of meat eaters.

And smoked emu biltong is very nice also. :icon_offtopic:

As you were....

edit: OOH! forgot to say that roasted vension with sone slices of orange in it is also nice, I didn't think it was gamey either. I think "gameyness" enters into it when it has been cooked on a too hot bbq for too long.

Not being a complete foodie, I can only agree with the others and say a rare roo steak is awesome. You can pick up a selection of roo steaks, roasts and even roo snags in the local supermarkets. Yum. I feel like one now.
But damn I love my veges as well.

Mmm vegies..

I actually like good fresh vegies, fresher the better...

Its all part of a balanced diet. Meat, fruit, grains, eggs, vegies.... and..... BEER

I think that our bodies tell use when we need a hit of meat or vegies or fruit or eggs..

I dont eat meat everyday, but sometimes I get a craving for a nice steak, just like a get a craving for steamed vegies and butter with cracked pepper..

Good to see the discussion return to what we all expect from AHB. For a while I was worried something was wrong - it looked like there was genuine dialogue for a little while....

Good to see the discussion return to what we all expect from AHB. For a while I was worried something was wrong - it looked like there was genuine dialogue for a little while....

Yeah.... was getting a bit scary there for a while...

I haven't eaten meat for the last 2 days (possibly for the 1st time in my life) thanks mainly to this thread. I don't think I would ever choose to be a vegetarian but it would appear that not eating meat for a couple of days hasn't killed me. I seriously don't notice a difference with soy milk in my coffee instead of cow milk. I may never again buy cow milk.

Interesting thread - unexpected. AHB is remarkable.

I'm carnivore all the way, though I do try to go for the 'humane' options. I grew up on a farm, and while I'm capable of killing, it's not something I enjoy (luckily only had to do it a couple of times - mauled sheep, and a fly blown one).

So animals being eaten I'm ok with - making them suffer is just ridiculous and unnecessary. It helps that I love roo - I see many people saying that you need to cook it hot and fast and rare - that's one way. The other is slow and low. When cooking a roast I usually cook it at 160 degrees, etc. Tasty. In the slow cooker with a casserole, roo strogonoff, etc is great too.

The couple of mL of soy milk I've had in my coffee hasn't caused me to start lactating (yet).

I mentioned this thread to a mate last night & he reckons soy is a completely unsustainable crop. There's days when you just can't win no matter what you do.

Back