Thoughts on DUI?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clutch said:
Just wondering on my fellow brewers thoughts about Australian DUI laws/penalties?

I work for DTMR, and I'm astounded at the amount of people who still think of getting caught behind the wheel at .192 as just "bad luck".

The latest was a truckie who couldn't get a job becuase of his interlock condition, and (direct quote) said:

"This interlock thing ruins lives".

You can probably guess my response.

Are we too soft, being .05, rather than say, the US's .08 for most states?
Slap that b!tch...

Is he a Gen Y truckie, with no sense of responsibility and a massive sense of entitlement? (not that all gen Y are like that...just saying that some are).

Here's one for the Darwin Awards, currently by the side of the road on Oxley Island NSW. No idea if the occupant or occupants survived. Won't take you too long to work out what happened:

prang 1.jpg

prang 2.jpg

Looks like a tragedy. Hopefully no-one else outside of the written-off car was hurt or implicated.

I called the cops today on a driver that that was clearly pissed. He pulled up at the service station I was at and took 3 goes to get in the front door.

Since having kids I have zero tolerance for risk taking.

Did feel strange to squeal...a little "un-Australian"

**** him. We really need to change the culture if we want to make the roads as safe as possible

Cheers
Dobber Chris

Liam_snorkel said:
Or the occupants.
They'll be right. Gen Y P platers are immortal, ask them.
I'll check the Manning River Times tomorrow.

Bribie G said:
They'll be right. Gen Y P platers are immortal, ask them.
I'll check the Manning River Times tomorrow.
Wrong Bribie, all young blokes think they're immortal. 20 years ago I was doing late night timed runs through twisty National Park roads in a hot rod Alfa Romeo, and 50 years ago my uncle was driving home from St George motor boat club too pissed to walk and having to crawl from the car to the front door.

By comparison, the vast majority of Gen Y P Platers I see are paragons of responsibility.

I don't know FB. I bet that little Alfa would struggle to keep up with a bog standard falcon or commodore of today's standards. Maybe today's young blokes attitudes aren't that much different but the power output of todays engines certainly are.

Camo6 said:
I don't know FB. I bet that little Alfa would struggle to keep up with a bog standard falcon or commodore of today's standards. Maybe today's young blokes attitudes aren't that much different but the power output of todays engines certainly are.
Heh,

My Alfa would do a measured 220, and up a twisty road, I'd back it over my last VE SS Commodore , or my current XR6 Turbo, which is incidentally artificially limited to 200 from the factory. Neither car is available (legally) to modern P Platers either.

That being said, modern cars handle better, stop better and are easier to drive faster more safely than cars have ever been. I used to have an R1 which put out 145hp at the back wheel, and it felt very tame compared to my 80hp Ducati classic race bike. The newer ones with more power probably feel even tamer.

It's not the vehicles, its not the speed limits, its not the booze, it's just young blokes doing what young blokes have always done in an increasingly media driven (and thus legislated) world.

Latest posts

Back