Those crazy Germans

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colo

Reaction score
Hello All,

Im new to well...everything (these forums, brewing, comedy).

Making my second brew and have decided to make a German Hefewiezen, as I love a good wheat beer. Used the coopers kit with a dry hop bag and DME with a WB-06 yeast. Have my baby wrapped in a blankie for the cold Brisbane nights, but sits at around 22-23c during the day. After 2 weeks primary fermenting she is still bubbling away, which I have read can be normal for wheat beers and the best way to test if ready is by gravity readings.

My second question which I havent been able to find the answer to is, because during primary fermentation the brew is so happy (still bubbling away after 2 weeks) when bottling do I still use carbonation drops? Reading other forums, people are saying that wheat beer is normally a young beer and can be drunk young. However if I use carbonation drops, wont I have to wait around 2 weeks for the secondary fermentation to occur, which is getting close to a normal brewing cycle of a lager?

Little confused on the above and would appreciate any help provided.

Cheers

If you want your beer carbonated then, yes, you need to prime it with sugar of some description and wait for that sugar to ferment out in the bottles. A beer is still considered young in the time it takes to carb. Many beers benefit from extended aging in the bottle (within reason, style dependant, etc) which is where the distinction for those wheat beer styles you mention comes in to play.

So, yeah, prime the bottles, wait for them to carb up, drink them. Start again asap.

In regard to the batch you presently have in the fermenter, it might pay to take a hydrometer reading. At two weeks it is probably reasonable to start wondering it fermentation was complete. What can often happen is that residual CO2 will come out of solution causing the airlock to give the impression that fermentation is occurring when it is not (or might not be, as the case may be). Does that make sense? Don't rely on the airlock. Three consistent hydrometer readings (a day apart each) is a much more reliable indicator (experience will teach you if that reading is reasonable or not, til then just ask here).

Don't trust the airlock, if you look close enough there may well be a family of kittens living in it.

I've got a similar brew in at the moment. And it has almost reached the predicted final gravity after 1 week. But definitely invest in a hydrometer if you don't already have one. It can save you from bottle bombs

IMO, Heffe's are best "young".
In general, they will carb quicker because there is a lot more yeast in suspension.

Thanks for the replies.

Took the Gravity today and its reading the same as what my first lager read when it was ready, so will take that as a positive sign that its ready.

Had a taste as well, tastes great! Bottling tonight, cant wait for the finished product in 2 weeks.

AS above, check the gravity over a few days, not all beers finish at the same point and if it is still fermenting you could be creating bottle bombs. These can be genuinely dangerous.

Don't worry about the gravity your lager finished at. You need to look at your recipe and see what your Wheat beer was supposed to finish at.

Just reread this. I'm calling Troll. Got me!

Back