This Is A Prime Issue!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitman

Reaction score
G'day,

Had a go at priming into my primary today, used dex.

Once added and stirred they appear to be like water and oil, this normal?

Dex has been in there all of five minutes at the time of writing.

Any quick help would be shweet.

I know some people do this with success but bulk priming into primary seems counter productive to me. Why you'd leave your primary to sit and settle out just to stir it up seems silly to me. I know it works for some, just am IMO thing, really.

As for the water/oil thing, that sounds weird but if it is isn't mixing thoroughly then it won't work.

[EDIT: missing word]

That'll stir up your yeast cake too, yeah? Are you sure this is a good idea? Glad to be corrected.

Boil the dex in about 200mm of water and rack on to it to mix it in... Not in the primary that only stirs up the cake... :icon_cheers:

G'day,

Had a go at priming into my primary today, used dex.

Once added and stirred they appear to be like water and oil, this normal?

Dex has been in there all of five minutes at the time of writing.

Any quick help would be shweet.

So did you just throw dry sugar straight in?

Better to dissolve it as mentioned. Also while I don't rack to bulk prime I have usually already racked to secondary previously so the others have a point about sediment.

If you have a secondary fermenter you could try racking now and seeing if a large quantity is left behind. It would be difficult to calculate how much extra to add though. Otherwise live and learn.

Yep as mentioned already but you MUST rack to a bottling bucket/vessel that way you don't disturb the yeast cake and unfloc what ya have flocked but by the sounds of it it's already flocked, no? :unsure:

I would let it settle for a hour or two and then bottle. You'll probably end up with a fair whack of yeast sediment.

Cheers

Chappo

Back