Think I've Just Ruined My First Ag.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think kegging would be much easier but the missus would not like me spending even more money on my setup than i already have. ;) Not in the short term anyway.

The missus keeps saying that this batch of beer cost us over $700. hehe (including all the equipment) ... They just dont understand...

Think i need to make a ginger beer or cider to change her mind. ;)

Thanks,
MARK.

the $700 batch of beer is how I think about my first batch as well...but then my second batch only cost ($700 + $35)/2 = $367.50

and the third cost ($735 + $35)/3 = $256

The only way to make cheap beer is brew more.... ;)

that is what my old man tells me when he is at happy hour the more you drink the more you save

I like the way you think Phillip. I better get cracking on the next brew then. ;)

Yep don't sweat the small stuff mate. If you're short on volume, take an OG reading if you're on target then leave things as they are, if it's high then use a dilution calculator (Beersmith) to determine how much water to add to hit your target OG. When it comes to adding tap water, well my advice is to always use good brewing practice to reduce risk. How long does it take to boil the kettle then pour the required amount into a jug and drop the temp in your freezer before adding to the fermenter.

Cheers,

Screwy

I told my wife brewing is a retirement hobby, so the cost to set up the brewery is an investment in a hobby.
I set all my ingredient costs in BeerSmith to $0, so my beers cost me nothing.

Geez, $700 is nothing compared to setting yourself up with golf as a hobby.
How about say $500 to join a golf club (in the country) (city you are looking at $2000 or more).
Cost of a good set of clubs $1000 give or take a few $100.
Shoes $100 up, and need to be replaced every couple of years.
Golf bag and buggy, up to another $200 if you lug your own along, more if you want a motor to do it for you.
$10 to $12 comp fees every time you play.
$???? spent at the 19th hole.
Cost of 2 or 3 balls lost every round $10.

Tell her the cost of both, and give her the choice of which hobby you take up.
I have a very sweet understanding wife of 33 years, and I indulge in both hobbies.

After all that, and to get back on topic, your batch will be fine. Ferment, bottle/keg, wait, and enjoy.

Back