They Say Blunt Knives Cause More Accidents But...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bconnery

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score
I think mine had to be reasonably sharp for this...
It's a stretch to put it in brew food perhaps but I had had a beer...

After years of cooking and who knows how much chopping (no I'm not a cook but I do play one at home) I have managed to do some damage to myself.
Ironically I have been making more of an effort to keep my knife sharp (I say knife, I do have others but I really just use my chef knife (I think it's called, the big one)) after my chef little brother and others have complained it is always too blunt.
So, I was happily chopping away some basil when I kind of misjudged the positioning of everything and took off the edge of my thumbnail, and thumb...

I immediately had it under a running tap, it was bleeding a little, and then we put the piece on ice in case it had to be stitched back on, but the ambulance men just bandaged it up and told us not to worry about keeping the piece as there was no way it was going to be anything other than a bandage and let it heal job...

This pic is of it after about a week.
View attachment 44714

I did almost the same last year, except I didn't make it the whole way through and was left with a flap of skin, that although I got it stitched back on, never healed and ended up dying and falling off.

Did land me 2 weeks off work though, during which I was able to do most things I wanted to at home. No way in hell was I going to deal cards to degenerates with an open wound.

Being a butcher in my former employment I have had quite a few cuts but only one similar to this. lol at times I used to cut myself just to get a few stitches then take the rest of the day off if the boss was pissing me off.
When it heals you may find that spot on your thumb will be numb for sometime, if not for the rest of your life (and after of course).

No great deal, you'll get used to it.

i can sympathise with you. i did this on friday
14032011094.jpg

14032011093-1.jpg

didnt even feel the knife go in and its was all pressure the thumb didnt slide down the knife.

As a BJCP judge, Barls gives your beer.... 3 and 1/2 Thumbs up

3-1-2-thumbs-up.jpg

cheers ted. if it had of been the japanese blade i have it may have been half a thumb. the scary thing is i didnt use that fine a stone this was with a 4000 grit water stone they go up to 16000.

sorry not trying t show you up, just thought id share. sorry if it came across that way.

sorry not trying t show you up, just thought id share. sorry if it came across that way.

I really really don't mind. My injury is fairly minor in the grand scheme of things...

Latest posts

Back