Thermometer On A Kettle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoff_tewierik

Reaction score
I was wondering whether or not there was a use for a thermometer on a kettle?

Apart from showing the temperature at which your boil is rolling along at, which IMO is irrelevant so long as it's boiling, what other uses would there be for a kettle to have a thermometer attached?

Yeah so you know when it's boiling :lol:

Apart from showing the temperature at which your boil is rolling along at, which IMO is irrelevant so long as it's boiling, what other uses would there be for a kettle to have a thermometer attached?

Its useful to see how far away the wort is from boiling, also if your using an immersion chiller to chill your wort after the boil.

I have pooh poohed the kettle thermometer concept in the past, but now that I pretty much only do double batches it would be quite handy to know whether it is safe to go and clean a fermenter or whether you need to be on boil-over patrol.

Its useful to see how far away the wort is from boiling, also if your using an immersion chiller to chill your wort after the boil.
Tick and tick plus if you heat you strike or sparge water in your boiler its pretty handy.

A bit like a chocolate teapot if you want my opinion! unless your kettle doubles as a HLT but even if it does why not just use a handheld thermometer?

I can see the point of having one if you are using an immersion chiller but otherwise it's something you can really get by without.

Just something else to bump and clean. Like a sight glass, there is no need for one in a kettle.

cheers

Darren

I can see why you might want one if you were chilling in your kettle. I think that if you are employing a single vessel brewing system it would be very useful. Otherwise, it would only serve to provide information that might not be interesting.

What are *you* thinking about when you ask the question?

I have one on my kettle. It was put there by a previous owner. I rarely even look at it, but I could see the usefulness if you are immersion chilling.

Exactly right .Boilovers are a pain and knowing when they are impending is a big plus !!!

Oh yes ,Bling Factor as well .

Pumpy :)

i could have done with one on my HLT yesterday, broke my little digitherm and had to wing it with a prehistoric job, i wouldn't fit one to my Kettle.

i'd be interested to hear if those that do have them fitted to Kettles have a heat shield in place.

cheers
yard

NO!

If you do it put a decent heat sheild around it otherwise it the gas exhaust can exceed a couple hundres degress.

Latest posts

Back