Thermometer Issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rampage

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First time long time for me.

Anywho, ive recently built a 50L keg BIAB setup and ive come across a slight issue with my thermometer.

As i was heating my Strike Water, i reached my 70C target, however once i put the grain in the thermometer jumped instantly up to 75C and stayed there during the mash. (Keg was insulated during the mash)

Anyone experienced this issue before? My thermometer is one of the Weldless 1/2" Thermometers from ESB brewing.

And now i have no idea what my actual mash temperature was! i did receive a 1.047SG, which was a little off my target.

Is it the simple case of me not stirring my strike water to get a accurate reading?

However I didnt check the reading of the thermometer when I removed the grain, i do believe it dropped back though.

You need to stir your HLT water when you check temps as you'll get hot and cold spots in the vessel. Do you heat you water with a element or do you direct fire the keg?

JD.

Ive used a 3 ring gas burner to heat up the keg, with just a standard regulator.

However the burners outer ring are outputting high yellow flames but that will need to be investigated further. That wouldnt have any effect on the thermomter reading I wouldnt think?

When i did a taste test of the mash it tasted like usual, i guess i will only be able to tell when my fermentation has finished?

I should probaly add, this was my first Full sized BIAB. Ive only just recently upgraded from the 20L stove top BIAB's. So the weekends brew was a slight learning curve for me.

yellow flame is the collars on the jets not being adjusted correctly, you need to wind them out until the flame is blue, but not as far as so the flame starts lifting off the nozzles
also, as per what JDW81 said. stir your water before check as you will likely have cold spots
It's also good practice to let your water sit for 10 minutes or so to make sure that the heat isn't continuing to rise.
I screwed 2 batches in the last few months due to not letting my keggle sit for a while and the water getting much too hot

Back