The Worst Commercial Beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm yet to find an undrinkable beer.. There are beers that I don't like (such as Rochefort 10) but they are still drinkable.

I am tempted to pick up some Emu Export on the way out tonight. I always bag it, but have never tried it.

ahh the joys of being young and foolish :beerbang:

Worst beer I've ever had was a pint of Dogbolter....
The stuff seriously tastes like liquified ground up coffee beans.....
I struggled through the pint and nearly threw up into the empty glass! hehe

I swiftly followed that up with a pint of my current favourite.... Mountain Goat Hightail Ale

Boags St George, bloody terrible beer. One of the only (commercial) beers I have not been able to finish.

I think they feed mandarines too a goat then get it to piss in bottles.

I wouldn't be too hasty to chastise them tangent, after all they still brew Southwark Old Stout :wub:

What a great bang for buck stout that one is. You can get it for around $3 a bottle from Dan Murphy's. :beerbang:

Warren -

Boags St George
Blonde
Tooheys Pils
VB mid strength
Powers

Long dead now and it should remain so , Empire beer by CUB

only thing this thread proves is that beer drinkers tatse buds vary vastly between individuals.

For my 2 cents worth - Buckleys Bock is the worst beer I have ever had

Jimmy
Double agreed! Something really tasted wrong about that beer, sour like it was infected or something. Their Pilz wasn't much better.

My current least favourite commercials would have to be:

Pure Blonde - how do they make water look that pale yellow colour and come out slightly fizzy.

and

Carlton Draught - this very astringent almost no body and noticeable grainy taste, all combined with that crap CUB yeast. They must be sparging the absolute bejesus out of the grain until there is almost nothing left. No wonder they want you to "drink it fresh".

Not sure why the Little Creatures and Rochefort 10 where nominated. Last beer tasting night my mates and I had we rated them as some of the best commercial beers.

Maybe our taste buds develop differently down here in Vic ;)

Worst beer in Oz would have to be Little Creatures Pale Ale - tastes and smells like someone spilled perfume or flowers, or both, in there.
Worldwide, it would have to be Rochefort 10 - tastes like they ruined a dark beer with plums and raisins. I always heard the belgians made good beer, but I think we need to send over a few CUB brewers to show em how it's done ;)
T.

You are joking aren't you?

Not sure why the Little Creatures and Rochefort 10 where nominated. Last beer tasting night my mates and I had we rated them as some of the best commercial beers.

I was just having a bit of a troll, Chris. Got a few more than I thought I would, but some of the lads were awake to it :p
I dont really like Bluetongue lager too much either, it is scarily pale, and tastes very strongly (to me) of acetaldehyde (green apples). For mine, it is a yeast by product that should be cleaned up after the yeast, like diacetyl, but they seem fairly proud of the green apple flavour. Each to their own I guess. I have actually refused one in a bar, after a mate bought one for me in a shout. :eek: :ph34r:
Trent

EDIT - I am looking forward to getting over to Stuster's one day for a Bud Light clone though. Yummo!

Mmm bud light, sounds the goods.

I hate Coopers Sparkling. I was pissed at the time and it still tasted like sh*t...I still can't bring myself to try another one, everyone else was drinkin them and loving it, so it probably wasnt an off batch.. I guess it coulda been though, they were the general megaswill loving public...

Boags St George
Blonde
Tooheys Pils
VB mid strength
Powers
Long dead now and it should remain so , Empire beer by CUB
Empire was relaunched as Pure Bland. It's still shit, and they've recently added $10 to a carton price as people started buying it because it's low carb. It used to be quite budget at $30-35, now it's $40-45.

There seems to be quite a group of drinkers out there who consider one beer or another crap,we see a beer described by one as bland and another as flavorsome..even if those flavours are reminiscent of vomit or goats piss...quite a divide of sensory evaluation of the same beer. I will restrict this to local fresh beers, just for an experiment.
Get some VB, some Fosters, some Tooheys New even some Crown or $x and do a proper blind tasting, a real assessment of the beers, use a BJCP scoresheet if you want, or do a compare and contrast.
Describe the aroma, examine the look of the beer, the carbonation, the head retention, taste it, record the mouthfeel, describe the tastes both on the palate and after, does it have a big malt character [ok give that one a miss] , does it finish dry or sweet, is there a lingering hop bitterness and on and on.
Having taken the (apparent) myriad of faults on board then write a few (or many as you wish if its that bad) lines about how you feel the beer could be improved.
THEN and only then can your criticism be taken seriously by anyone more intelligent than a parrot.

K

#117 Posts and almost as many Opinions. :lol:

There seems to be quite a group of drinkers out there who consider one beer or another crap,we see a beer described by one as bland and another as flavorsome..even if those flavours are reminiscent of vomit or goats piss...quite a divide of sensory evaluation of the same beer. I will restrict this to local fresh beers, just for an experiment.
Get some VB, some Fosters, some Tooheys New even some Crown or $x and do a proper blind tasting, a real assessment of the beers, use a BJCP scoresheet if you want, or do a compare and contrast.
Describe the aroma, examine the look of the beer, the carbonation, the head retention, taste it, record the mouthfeel, describe the tastes both on the palate and after, does it have a big malt character [ok give that one a miss] , does it finish dry or sweet, is there a lingering hop bitterness and on and on.
Having taken the (apparent) myriad of faults on board then write a few (or many as you wish if its that bad) lines about how you feel the beer could be improved.
THEN and only then can your criticism be taken seriously by anyone more intelligent than a parrot.

K
I think this is a more subjective question Dr K. I personally don't like and wouldn't pay money for a beer like Budweiser. However, I have judged it against bjcp style guides and give it a very high score because it is pretty close to being exactly what it is supposed to be.

I think this thread is about what people like not if a beer is technically correct. They are two very different things.

Boags St George, bloody terrible beer. One of the only (commercial) beers I have not been able to finish.

Hear, hear.

Yes, I'd put that on a par with Cairns Draught for sheer nastiness.

Oh, and I'd forgetten the 'Decline and Fall' of Empire.

Bleeuccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I think this is a more subjective question Dr K. I personally don't like and wouldn't pay money for a beer like Budweiser. However, I have judged it against bjcp style guides and give it a very high score because it is pretty close to being exactly what it is supposed to be.

I think this thread is about what people like not if a beer is technically correct. They are two very different things.

You're tight Aaron, but DrK does have a point... I was just as prone to spouting off about all the crappy flavourless beers that are out there.

Then I did a couple of sessions of tasting via blind triangle tests and blind flights; and learned to mostly shut up. It seems that where I am capable of actually telling the difference between two beers (one which I previously like and one I hated) then I am also prone to picking out the beer I thought I disliked as the best in a flight.

The whole properly run blind tasting thing, especially the triangle tests.. is a horrible wake up call. In general I prefer to forget it ever happened and pretend that my palate is actually functional.

Back