The Worst Beer I've Ever Tasted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a carton of carlton cold sitting in my kitchen. In the fridge is some Horbrau. I have had some bad beers and some terrible homebrew!!

So the carlton cold is for mates with no taste, the hofbrau for the ones who want a beer and the Coopers Mild for guys who gotta drive....

Fresh Tui on tap in the Shaky Isles actually isn't too bad, sort of a dark XXXX Gold taste.

Maybe we are all good brewers or something but I find that most Australian "craft" ales taste typical of offerings at club meetings or in a case swap. No reason to spend 20 clams on a six pack of something I can brew better if I could be arsed to use all those American hops and deliberately make it orange, cloudy and serve it frozen.

Exception would be Murray's Whale Ale but even they can't brew a decent lager.

lukiferj said:
I haven't met anyone that like Magic Hat #9, myself included.

Hammer n Tongs would have to be up there.
I had a 6er of magic hat a few weeks ago. pretty bad, but it was only $11. I'd take it over anything else in the price range.

Hammer and tongs is up there.

Worst is a big call but my experience with Phoenix (beer not distirbutor) was pretty awful.

Infected AU craftbrew, badly stored/travelled UK bitters (love them when they are on their game though) bluetongue ginger beer and bad HB (some of it mine, some of it others', some of it infected, some of it just badly made, some of it KK, some of it AG) probably tips the boat into the waterfall.

Luckily some HB is close to the best as well.

Handsome Jake said:
Oettingers is the worst beer I've tasted, and Rivet from Aldi is a close second.
Oettinger cans are fine, but bottles are a bit suss.
Bloody good beer for the price,

VB, Tooheys Extra Dry, Radler............No particular order won't drink them even if free.

Wish I had seen this thread when it started. A month back I picked up a carton on TUN Mid, and I agree "The worst beer I've ever tasted". About the only thing I got from it was corn. No hops or malt. It's still in my fridge if ya want some.

I don't mind VB on the occasion.

Carlton lime infusion beer. Most fkn awful thing. Id drink slabs of warm vb rather than a drop of tha feram mish mash of wrong flavours abd cats piss. Fkn awful. Even on a hot day when I was hanging for a beer.

lukiferj said:
I haven't met anyone that like Magic Hat #9, myself included.

Hammer n Tongs would have to be up there.

While it's only the internet and not a meeting, i really liked the carton i sank out camping once. Wish i could get it again. That's the apricot one, yeah?

Worst ever commercial i had was a chinese lager, tzing tao or something?

Had plenty of my own beer that's been hold the nose and guzzle or tip out.

has Geelong Bitter had a run in this?

I remember a few $2 Pot nights at the Vic Hotel and not wanting to be alive the next day... feckin 'orrible stuff

1st place would have to be my first Homebrew though, put down with no temp control just as a heatwave struck Melbourne.. ~30'c... :icon_vomit:

I never used to drink beer growing up. Hated the stuff. They were all crap. Learnt to get it down the hatch at 21 whilst doing an appreniceship and the old Jimmie Beam was taking its toll on the wallet.
Started with Melbourne Bitter. Later on I was on the TED's which i thought rocked. Drank one last year and tipped it out straight away. Couldn't stomach it. I struggle with commercial beers now in a town thats dominated with carlton draught and VB.

In saying that, i'd put my hand up and say my one of my beers a few years back using musk sticks to carb up with. WOW...was it shite. Who knew??? :eek:

Yob said:
has Geelong Bitter had a run in this?

I remember a few $2 Pot nights at the Vic Hotel and not wanting to be alive the next day... feckin 'orrible stuff

1st place would have to be my first Homebrew though, put down with no temp control just as a heatwave struck Melbourne.. ~30'c... :icon_vomit:
I remeber $1 pots of GB in the hard plastic pot glasses. Fkn awful but still kot as bad as carlton lime shit. It was noy far behind vb.

Gotta defend Oettinger as well.

I first came over to Melbourne in 2010 for an exchange year at University of Melbourne. All me and my international buddies drank was Oettinger! It was the cheapest beer we could find. I still remember being incredulous when somebody told me it was $8 for a pint here!

Now, $8 doesn't seem like a bad price at all!

I'm guessing carlton lime, miller chill and barefoot radler must all be pretty similar tasting. Lucky 7 was pretty bad but at least I could finish one unlike the barefoot radler which was completely undrinkable.

The only beer I've ever not been able to finish a glass of was a winter warmer I bottled about a month ago. Nothing commercial has ever been that bad. I'll give mine a few more months as it was quite a high gravity brew but if it's still undrinkable, it's going down the sink.

Hands down a pint of Greene King IPA, think in Nottingham it was... I've had mates though that swear it's the ducks, but when I had the misfortune of trying something new I was greeted with some thing that tasted like vomit with hints of sulphur. I fought through half a pint-thinking it might get better..

I was wrong.

To the people defending Oettingers: Have you ever tried it in a pint/schooner glass? Out of the can it only tastes like the can + a vague beer flavour, but out of the glass, without the can flavour masking it, it's a whole new beast.

Why would anyone defend it if they thought it tasted like can?

On behalf of Echuca I would like to nominate Gage Rds "The Convict" Australian Strong Ale.

What The!!!!!!

I know - I said the same thing when I found the last four bottles in a discount bin at the Echuca Dan Murphys for $3.60 each. I was very sorry there wasn't more. Their loss.

Hmmm. My worst.

1. Boags St George (a six pack sat in my fridge for 6 months which is unheard of)
  2. Special mentions to an off can of boags draught.
  3. I just recently bought a six pack from Dan Murphys of a beer called Not Quite Pale Ale for $11 (Now thats a warning) and believe me it wasn't quite a pale, it was vile, gave to my step father.
  4. And a very special mention to the mouthfuls of Beer N Butts as mentioned before and I agree, still echo's in my head. Had more than my fair share. Brooughgghsplch.
Any knockers of Gippsland Gold are a bit unfair, that's the beer the general public should be drinking rather than CUB.

Latest posts

Back