The Worst Beer I've Ever Tasted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me wrong. It wasn't a "nice" beer but I bought expecting to be a bit afraid of it and it wasn't that awful. I found Schlenkerla's weizen to be harder to drink to be honest (and I love their urbock and marzen to bits).

Magic Hat #9

Now, I've had Gipplsland Gold before, and it's got a tad of diacetyl going on, but Nothing compared to this abomination of a beer. Not one for tipping a beer unless it's infected, but 3 sips in, this went down the drain.

F for Fail.

mikkeller 1000 ibu light

the bartender said, 'are you really sure you want this....'.
I couldnt finish a half pint

seanicus said:
mikkeller 1000 ibu light

the bartender said, 'are you really sure you want this....'.
I couldnt finish a half pint
Awww, don't say that
I've got a bottle sitting at home waiting for me to drink it

pommiebloke said:
It literally smelled of sweaty gym socks and tasted no better.
Had a good chuckle at that.

Oettingers is the worst beer I've tasted, and Rivet from Aldi is a close second.

I also recently had a "limited release" Belgian Dubbel Chocolate Ale from Matilda Bay. It cost $9 for a 640ml bottle and while it wasn't the worst beer I've ever had, it's definitely the worst I've ever paid $9 for.

Funny, no one has mentioned their homebrew failures! Maybe they don't count, but in the early days I had a batch of kit lager using the kit yeast, warm fermentation, with an infection and it's easily the worst beer I've ever had. Needless to say this was brewed before I bothered reading a homebrewer mag or coming on here.

I'm not a fan of commercial watery beers either but they're better than infected homebrew :blink:

Red Dog Draught for me. Released in Tassie about 20 years ago. Only lasted around 6 months. It was back in the day when I was a real povvo, and could only afford a 6er every now and the. Used to get a tallie of VB on a Thursday night to watch the footy show. Went without for a few weeks and got a 6er of Red Dog. Drank 2 - gave the rest away. Extremely dissappointed.
LagerBomb

Echoing my sentiments elsewhere (and kierent above), I often think I must be the only brewer who makes average-shit beers every now and again. If I set out to make a blandish malty lager for quaffing and the end result tasted like Oettinger I would be pretty happy.

The choc belgian thing from Gage Roads may be over priced and not really a good representation of any particular style, but I'd happily drink several pints of it...I pay $9 for a pint of beers much less interesting than that in Ballarat.

I have made some absolute shit - not even infected, just shit. I'm sure I will make more, but each brew I tighten the process and try to get a little bit better and more consistent.

The worst beers I've ever had have all been homebrew, and plenty of it has been mine through the years.

Not including homebrew, there are a few bottles of "Bali Hai" in my fridge. They will stay there until some class-less guest is stupid enough to drink them. One was enough for me. Tasted like cheap tequila in soda water.

Yeah... I agree the Oetinger (have no idea how to spell it) is not a bad mega swill to be honest! Freaking cheap and at least it tastes like SOMETHING! Worst commercial beer I have had was a VB can in a dodgy motel room a few years ago. Must have been off, as it just tasted like melted plastic mixed with metal.
yum.

WarmBeer said:
Magic Hat #9

Now, I've had Gipplsland Gold before, and it's got a tad of diacetyl going on, but Nothing compared to this abomination of a beer. Not one for tipping a beer unless it's infected, but 3 sips in, this went down the drain.

F for Fail.
Agree on Magic hat 9, was not a fan.

In all fairness to Budweiser etc. they are brewed brilliantly to maintain the blandness that they are known for. :ph34r:

Tooheys gold..... in my student days would plumb for a 30 PAC for 20 bucks, and never be able to stomach it, vile..... hammer and tong is close second

I thought magic hat#9 was awful too, not worst ever material, but awful all the same.

Yeah I'm going to jump in to defend Oetinger too actually... If I have to pick a bottom of the barrel cheap lager I will pick up a sixer of that every time.

I haven't met anyone that like Magic Hat #9, myself included.

Hammer n Tongs would have to be up there.

Latest posts

Back