The Worst Beer I've Ever Tasted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with Browndog, the only commercial beer I have ever tipped out was Rex Attitude.

I carried it over from a NZ holiday and had high hopes, but it was totally ashtray and charcoal, and nothing else. Slowly forced about half the bottle down in the hope I'd get used to it, but it just didn't happen. Down the drain.

I Know people who absolutely love this beer, I just don't know how. I can drink and eat almost anything, I must be the most unfussiest drinker I've ever met, but no.

Sometimes wondering if there was something (or a lot) wrong with it, I might grab another bottle when I see it next.

I know I defended it earlier but anyone who claims to "love" that beer is trying to present a certain image (i.e. full of shit). It is not a "good" beer but it is certainly an experience worth having.

I have many bottles of Rex easily within reach should I want it... I have never touched one due to the hype as above. I also hear of a write up that gave it a zero with such quotes as "it tastes like someone boiled a tire inner"... Have you guys also had the xeRex? It was an imperial version or something in celebration of an innovation award for the original version.

Wasn't there also an seasonal or limited 'extreme' version of Rex Attitude? Thought I heard Stu talking about it during his extreme beer presentation at ANHC.

Can't remember what the name was, and not sure how it was done, surely they couldn't have used 150% heavy peated malt?

I'm sure Snow would remember, if only he was around these days.

EDIT: Stillinrehab, that's what I was talking about, cheers.

wbosher said:
Worst was one of mine, truly awful. Worst commercial beer was Lion Red back in the early 90s...don't think they make it any more.
Whaat!? 'Red like a fire engine and its got a little Lion on it' is no more? Say it ain't so!
Some of my own ( homebrew ) swill has only been forced down by looking at myself in the mirror and saying " c'mon cnut, there's people out there drinking the Lyon Rouge and if they can do that, you can bloody well drink this."
Oh discordia! Another bastion fallen...
Second only (just) to Waikato Draught in the cringe stakes.

I had the Rex Attitude last weekend and hardly put a dent in it. Not my cup o tea...And the smell.....

Korona ,Worked up the pilbara in 50c heat changing haul truck tyres and still wouldn't drink that shit after work at the wet mess,even if it was bought for me.Thank christ they sold Coopers Red and Green or I would have stayed sober for 2 weeks at a time.

[SIZE=12pt]I agree with you. It’s the worst for me also. It is with a light mild malty ton. It was really a bad experience of it for my life. Please try to buying from you booze. It’s a great online shop for beer and wine.[/SIZE]

1st post... looks dodgy. If only my local sold cleanskin beers.

This. I tipped it out.

2013-05-18_1729.png

Whatever that beer ALDI sells is.
My brother in law bought a case to a family gathering a few weeks back. Within half a bottle I went from designated drinker to designated driver. He's normally a good judge of a beer so I left it up to him that day.
Watery, fizzy, malt-less, hop-less wetness.

Many years ago on a football trip in NZ, made the mistake of buying a slab of this.

to be fair it was only about $12/slab, but even as a spotty, half drunk 18 year old, I could hardly get it down.

NZ had some good contenders for the prize as well as Tui though. Joseph Kutze, Rheineck, Lion Brown (much worse than Lion Red)

I'm not fussy when it comes to beer. I will drink almost anything. There is one beer, however, that I will not drink: Carlton Cold. Every time I drink it I get a strong wet cardboard aftertaste. I don't know if it is just me (my mates think I'm crazy when I say,"Can't you taste that? Like licking a cardboard box?") but it is one aweful beer. Most mega swill I don't mind, especially if it is given to me, but Cold is on the banned list.

Florian said:
Wasn't there also an seasonal or limited 'extreme' version of Rex Attitude? Thought I heard Stu talking about it during his extreme beer presentation at ANHC.

Can't remember what the name was, and not sure how it was done, surely they couldn't have used 150% heavy peated malt?

I'm sure Snow would remember, if only he was around these days.

EDIT: Stillinrehab, that's what I was talking about, cheers.
Florian,

rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated! I just don't check every post any more.....

Yes xeRRex is the extreme version of Rex Attitude - and I have tasted it. I know Bum might call me out on this, but I absolutely loved it! And I'm not trying to make a statement or anything - I just enjoyed every drop that passed my lips and thought it was awesome. I am a huge fan of really smokey whiskys and this beer just spoke to me. Now I haven't tried the Rex Attitude, which sounds like it's out of balance. I suspect the high alcohol and rich mouthfeel of the xeRRex helped tone down the harsh notes of the peat malt, kind of like a well balanced imperial IPA/American barleywine uses the body to balance the hops.

As for worst beer - I am totally with Kalbarluke on the Carlton Cold. That stuff seriously makes me feel sick about half a stubbie in.

Cheers - Snow.

VB :icon_vomit:

would not drink it even if you were paying

been to parties where it was only beer available

told my wife I would be the designated driver

if it was the only beer on earth i would stick to wine

It's funny how Aussies rave about how great our craft beer is, and I have to agree, but we also make some of the worst beer ever, far worse than any Aussie beer I've ever had...and yes, that includes VB. :lol:

Latest posts

Back