The Tale Of Two Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
So I made a batch of beer and split it into two fermenters og -1048

I rehydrated some safale us 56 and some safale s33 and pitched one in each fermenter. The s33 took off pretty quickly whilst the us 56 took its time to get going. Unfortunately we had some hot weather which took the fermenter temp strips up to about 26 - 27. At this point the s33 stopped working - the us56 kept going. Once it cooled down (the next day) a bit the s33 got going again. Round about day 10 they had pretty much stopped any activity so on day 11 I took an sg reading - us56 -1013, s33 - 1018. I kegged the us56 and am gassing it up as I type. The s33 was racked into another fermenter - there looked to be a little pressure in the airlock so hopefully some activity. Yesterday being a 37 degree day didnt help much so I took a sg reading this morning of 1018.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm? Same beer different yeasts, same fermentation temperatures? I am wondering if the s33 is going to come down any more?

Interesting, Am going to try the same test later on but will have both in the ferm fridge around 20c.

I couldnt fit both the fermenters in the ferm fridge so I opted for the natural fermentation temperature control quality of my garage - bummer!

Screwtop said:
Interesting, Am going to try the same test later on but will have both in the ferm fridge around 20c.
[post="110951"][/post]​
I'm another one that wants to perform the same test at some stage. I need to know for myself just how much yeast affects the flavour of the finaL product.

I will also be trying hte same test myself, when I get through this horribly long list that has "To brew" written up the top ;). I guess thats where doing double batches really comes in handy, even to the point of experimenting with blending the 2 different yeast beers back into one in the bottling bucket (I know that Stone did that in one of their Vertical Epic Ales, and apprently it was quite good). So many facets to experiment with, and not enough time (or fridge space!). Merc, sounds like its time to upgrade to a bigger fridge.
All the best
Trent
PS In answer to your question, I dont know if the S-33 will come down anymore. I have only used it once, fermented at 23C for a week, then in secondary for 2 weeks at about 16-18C. OG was 1058, and the FG was 1018. It is farily sweet still, but I find that this batch has that "home-brew" flavour that I lost when I switched to liquid yeast. I am sure others have had much better results with this yeast, but based on this one time use, I wasnt overly impressed. I would GUESS if it hasnt come down any further after 11 days in primary and 2 or 3 days in secondary, then it isnt coming down any further. Maybe look on the saf website and check out their attenuation rates for S-33. Thats only 62% attenuation, too low I would assume, mine was 69%, a little more acceptable (but still low)
T

If you want it to come down further, you could pitch another lot of yeast. I'm sure the first lot were pretty knocked around by the 37*C day so giving them a helping hand might be the go.

It's hard to be objective about comparing yeast strains realistically when your primary temps are so high.

You either need to get a larger temp controlled environment or wait until cooler months to try these experiments or they are worthless.!

the control,in this case would be a suitable temp of around 16/18c.

Brewing in summer in the south is an absoluten waist of time unless you can realistically keep you ferm temps at 20c or below.Weizens are the go @ this time of year.Crisp clean lagers need refrigerated control.

Brauluver - I agree regarding control for temp when fermenting. One of the good things to come out of this experiment is my wife now agrees with me that I need another ferm fridge.

The s33 is an Ale yeast (I wasnt making a lager as you seemed to insinuate but I may have misread that) Fermentis says it is good to work from 15 - 24 and is ideal for high alcohol beers - so I am confused as to why it didnt ferment my beer out especially as the final gravity should have given a 4.7% not hard work for this yeast?

Yeah sorry about that.It's not what I meant ,but rereading it again I can see what u mean.

I haven't used the s33 for quite a few years now ,but seem to remember that it worked quite well @ 15/17 c and even produced some mild sulphury notes.Maybe the high temps have knocked it about a bit and its not performing at its peak.
The us 56 is a great strain and i use it a fair bit .Neutral and clean and works a little slower @ 16/18c but produces a basic malt profile for yourhops to shine through.

Dave

merc how much yeast for the safale 33 did u pitch maybe u under pitched the yeast as with high alc beers u need more yeast or maybe u did not airate the brew enough

For trialling different yeast flavours try splitting up a 23l batch into 2x11.5l batches. Then you can use smaller rectangular jerry can type containers which should fit into the one fridge

Thanks Dave. I am using the us56 a bit also and like the yeast and how it works.

I pitched two 6 gram yeast satchets (rehydrated first) into 16.5 litres of wort. Gave it a good stir - wort at 20 degrees at pitching time. Day 3 and 4 were the hot days that eventually stopped the yeast working.

I took a gravity today and it is still at 1018 so I bit the bullet and opened it up sprinkled in a 6 grams satchet of s33 gave it a stir and popped the lid back on.

I will let you know how it goes.

Beer bum said:
For trialling different yeast flavours try splitting up a 23l batch into 2x11.5l batches. Then you can use smaller rectangular jerry can type containers which should fit into the one fridge
[post="111142"][/post]​

Ah, but then do you pitch the whole pack of yeast or only half a pack????

Absolutely no movement on the s33 batch so I imagine it will be heading for the drain in the next day or two. There must be sugar in there but the added yeast obviously isnt interested? Temp in the garage is around the 20 degrees.

Have u tasted it,is it too sweet?
Maybe it just needs to be racked and allowed a couple of days at 20c and then a cc for a week or 2.

If all else fails stick with us 56 in the future,its my fave dry.

ok whats was the mash temp..or recipe as that may contibute the higher gravity

good point Jaz, might be chockas full of unfermentables in the 1st place

Mercs,
Bubbles in the hydrometer tube can also falsely raise the hydrometer. Never chuck a beer less than three weeks old.

cheers
Darren

i only chuck a beer if i've had waaay more than one :)
did you get your refractometer Merc? I'm getting funny readings with mine (i think it's due to hops and break) so i use it with the hydrometer as well. then i get to drink some samples again.

Mercs Own said:
Round about day 10 they had pretty much stopped any activity so on day 11 I took an sg reading - us56 -1013, s33 - 1018.
?
[post="110946"][/post]​

Jaz ,and Tangent are making a good point.

With that FG on US 56 you must have some crystal or roast malts in there,or wheat maybe .
1010 or below is what u get with that in an APA.

Just my 2c worth.

Back