The Tale Of Two Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the required references:

From "Brewing" 1998, M.J. Lewis and T.W. Young

Not sure how the scans will come out.

Page1.jpg

PAGE_2.jpg

Darren, I am not doubting that a higher mash temp will give a fuller bodied beer. Wes' posts are not contradictory at all. Time is the key thing, as the BYO wizard suggests. Beta amylase will not be "denatured instantly".

For my system, I seem to get a 10* drop when adding water to grain. Yesterday was 77* water for a 67* mash. I'm fairly new to mashing, but not new to science.

Stuster said:
Darren, I am not doubting that a higher mash temp will give a fuller bodied beer. Wes' posts are not contradictory at all. Time is the key thing, as the BYO wizard suggests. Beta amylase will not be "denatured instantly".

For my system, I seem to get a 10* drop when adding water to grain. Yesterday was 77* water for a 67* mash. I'm fairly new to mashing, but not new to science.
[post="112454"][/post]​

Stuster I think the graph says it all. At 70 denaturation is rapid. At 75 it will be instant yes. BTW, the quoted text is from a peer reviewed brewing textbook, not a chuck away magazine.

cheers
Darren

EDIT: Stuster,
Perhaps you could provide some data (not hearsay) that proves your point.

Latest posts

Back