The Rig Build Begins....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score
Here's the start of the build of my ne brew rig. Hoping to get a fair way with it over the Easter Break.
Plans for it are [topic="31473"]'ere[/topic]

Base of the frame
gallery_9761_435_27754.jpg

Middle support showin' my crappy welding

gallery_9761_435_32543.jpg

And base finished!

gallery_9761_435_2918.jpg

Now about 10hrs of wire brushing!

Thanks to Jeddog for inspiring me to get me finger out.

:D

Good work Chappo. But I will be fishing and drinking not making brew equip on weekend. I thought you said you had a tig? Happy engineering bloke Greg :D
ps have seen alot worse welding than that

Nah! Stickin' this one, filler rods n gas too expensive for 8mm MS. Plus I got a bit funky freehand with the plasma cutter UGLY really really UGLY! :lol:

Jeez Chappo, do you think that will be strong enough mate?

good luck with it.

Browndog

Mmmm rust! :icon_drool2:

I just hope you have had a teatnus shot recently chappo! as you are sure to spike yourself atleast once with that wire brush!

Lockjaw CHAPPO!!!

Good work getting her going.. looks allot better than just the kitchen bench i use for brewing! :lol:

Nah! Stickin' this one, filler rods n gas too expensive for 8mm MS. Plus I got a bit funky freehand with the plasma cutter UGLY really really UGLY! :lol:
Whats a plasma cutter like to use. Am good with the oxy but have been told plasma will cut stainless and alloy (which I find hard to believe) but if so I think I need one or just want one. Put it on the list with every thing else. You must have some nice thick rods and good amps to cover up the ugly and whack the amps up more to cut through the rust. I spose youve already got the pink paint for the paint job mate. Haha
Greg :D

Jeez Chappo, do you think that will be strong enough mate?

good luck with it.

Browndog
Cheers BD! What do think 100x50x8 PFC isn't strong enough? Feckin' knew I ahould have gone 360 UB beam! :lol:

Mmmm rust!
...Lockjaw CHAPPO!!!
Why do ya think I post soooo much 4Star... Locked Jaw :lol: Cheers for the encouragement!

Whats a plasma cutter like to use. Am good with the oxy but have been told plasma will cut stainless and alloy (which I find hard to believe) but if so I think I need one or just want one. Put it on the list with every thing else. You must have some nice thick rods and good amps to cover up the ugly and whack the amps up more to cut through the rust. I spose youve already got the pink paint for the paint job mate. Haha
Greg
Tehehehe! Oxy's are OLD SCHOOL! Seriously you have ta buy one Greg they are friggin' awesome. 60amp plasma will cut upto 15mm MS plate. Jig saw patterns from MDF and you can nearly fabricate anything IMO. No waiting to heat up just point and shoot. No consumables as it runs on compressed air and the tips are cheap, I buy pack of 60 for $45 bucks off evilbay. I have a dedicated single phase to me shed but I'm on the end of the line so power can sometimes thin out a bit. Just gotta pick ya timing when welding. Only cleaned the rust up around the welds as I didn't want the neighbours getting the shits, I'll save that for Easter Sunday! :lol:

Cheers Lads!

Out in the middle of but f**k no where we can only get single phase but you cant piss the neighbours off cause there arent any for a couple of kays. No coment on stainless or alloy capabillities with the plasma?
Greg

Cheers BD! What do think 100x50x8 PFC isn't strong enough? Feckin' knew I ahould have gone 360 UB beam! :lol:

Why do ya think I post soooo much 4Star... Locked Jaw :lol: Cheers for the encouragement!

Tehehehe! Oxy's are OLD SCHOOL! Seriously you have ta buy one Greg they are friggin' awesome. 60amp plasma will cut upto 15mm MS plate. Jig saw patterns from MDF and you can nearly fabricate anything IMO. No waiting to heat up just point and shoot. No consumables as it runs on compressed air and the tips are cheap, I buy pack of 60 for $45 bucks off evilbay. I have a dedicated single phase to me shed but I'm on the end of the line so power can sometimes thin out a bit. Just gotta pick ya timing when welding. Only cleaned the rust up around the welds as I didn't want the neighbours getting the shits, I'll save that for Easter Sunday! :lol:

Cheers Lads!
I hope you have a strong missus to push the Sherman tank around,That how I like to see gear made, indestructible.
Go for it ,I cant wait for the next hard core brewing structure progress.
Have fun.
GB

Out in the middle of but f**k no where we can only get single phase but you cant piss the neighbours off cause there arent any for a couple of kays. No coment on stainless or alloy capabillities with the plasma?
Greg

Shit sorry Greg,
Mate cuts upta 8 or 10mm Ally and SS like butter. As quick as you can draw it it'll cut it. But it's like oxy cuttin you get striations if you go too fast. Also a bit of dags to clean up if you don't have the amps and compressed air psi's just right. I love it I find I reach for the plasma before the grinder these days.

I feel so inadequate with a 40x40x3 RHS chassis now...

When I was an apprentice, we used to mount 4 cylinder Perkins diesels on bore pumps on 4"x2" channel frames... :blink:

Shit sorry Greg,
Mate cuts upta 8 or 10mm Ally and SS like butter. As quick as you can draw it it'll cut it. But it's like oxy cuttin you get striations if you go too fast. Also a bit of dags to clean up if you don't have the amps and compressed air psi's just right. I love it I find I reach for the plasma before the grinder these days.

Thats it I deffinately need one.
Once the house slab goes down and ive rebuilt my v8 and Ive fixed the fornt end loader but its on the list.
Thanks for the info Greg

Chappo,

In the plans there is no 'Over Head Crane' which it would appear you have started constructing?!? :p :lol:

Seriously, awesome to see it started and am looking forward to watching it come together, in particular that extraction fan!

PLEASE keep posting the pic's of the rig as you work and it comes together!

Grats mate and F*kin great work!

I feel so inadequate with a 40x40x3 RHS chassis now...

When I was an apprentice, we used to mount 4 cylinder Perkins diesels on bore pumps on 4"x2" channel frames... :blink:
Come on You live in steel city , well use to be, I lived there for 2 years when BHP was cranking.Nothings to big! Except the pollution, use to burn my eyes, mind you I lived close to BHP.
GB

Hah! I was only walking past one of the old bus shelters at the now defunct Bar Mill today and admiring it's construction from solid 3/4" plate and the old 10" RSJ... Musta just had it lying around :D

Everything's cheap when you make it on site ;)

OT: My grandfather use to work at the Port Kembla mill on the pots. As a kid we could go to work with him, pre WHOS, I all I wanted to be was a steel worker I idolised everything he did! Geez I miss him. Sorry boys brought back very fond memories.

Hah! I was only walking past one of the old bus shelters at the now defunct Bar Mill today and admiring it's construction from solid 3/4" plate and the old 10" RSJ... Musta just had it lying around :D

Everything's cheap when you make it on site ;)
I was living a beautifully restored turn of the century town house in Tighes hill ,(local drinking at the Royal Oak hotel,) it backed onto the creak, ever night I had Jimmy Hendricks blasting from the top floor as I watched trucks dump sewerage into the creek, those were the days.I later moved down closer to the bad part of the harbour, never again, fights every night.
GB

Chappo,

In the plans there is no 'Over Head Crane' which it would appear you have started constructing?!? :p :lol:

Seriously, awesome to see it started and am looking forward to watching it come together, in particular that extraction fan!

PLEASE keep posting the pic's of the rig as you work and it comes together!

Grats mate and F*kin great work!

I have a mate who works for Demag maybe he could give a quote :rolleyes:

Introducing "Sherman" the brewery rig...

Front with tilting mush tun doohickey

Another shot of doohickey

Righto gunna whack some paint on him tomorrow ready for brewing monday!

More photo's

Side on

Dad came over and nearly wet himself with laughter. He's one big chunky rig hence "Sherman" thought matilda but they weren't a heavy tank like the sherman where and this baby is heavy! ;)

Back