New brew rig build questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosto

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm tossing up whether to fork out the $$$ for a Grainfather, or build a similar system, especially now you can buy the GF Connect controller separately. I scored an old 50l keg from the tip a while ago. Someone must have had a similar idea to me but gave up and chucked it, as the the bottom had already been cut out. Had it been in tact, I would have cut the top out instead but hey, it was free! This means I need to seal or plumb the spear opening somehow. This is where I seek the wisdom of fellow AHBers. I was thinking of attaching a ball valve with a camlock...would that work? The idea being trub would settle in this area and I could dump it straight out. Does that sound feasible/useful?

The rest of the rough design in my head is to install two valves at the base of the wall of the keggle (ie above the trub) for recirc and transferring wort. Probably use a malt pipe of some description and use my current 38l Biab pot as a HLT/sparging vessel.

The main thing I'm trying to get my head around at present is how to deal with/use the spear opening that will be at the bottom of the rig, but all thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Welding a two-piece ss ball valve (after stripping out the nylon seals beforehand) will work just fine but consider using the keg as a mash tun instead.

This will allow you to underlet when starting the mash to avoid doughballs as well as allowing you to completely drain the wort after mashing.
If you're building a brewframe you will have to allow for the extra height of the ball valve & camlock.
Hope this helps?

Edit Gramma!

Latest posts

Back