The Phoenix Brewery - first "dry" run

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinOC

Insert something suitably witty here
Reaction score
After a 10-year hiaitus from brewing (during which time I've spent WAAY too much on commercial beer) & having copped much badgering from all & sundry that I should get back on the horse, I've completed the build on the "Phoenix Brewery" (rising from the ashes...) & done a grain-less cleaning run this afternoon. 40L of hot PBW went through everything, whilst I made a record of ramp-times to get an idea of what I can expect.

Apart from a couple of minor slow drips (nothing an extra 1/4 turn with a spanner or an extra couple of turns of Teflon-tape can't fix), everything went beautifully.

I could've just thrown shitload of $'s at this, or bought a ready-made setup, but I think there's much more satisfaction in knowing & thinking-through your process, working-out what you want to achieve & then building it yourself. At the same time, I'm embracing the technological advancements on the way I used to do things 10 years ago.

Ignore the mounting of the parts on ghetto pieces of offcut melamine. It's expedient & will get me back up & running, without spending a shitload (total build cost is less than $600). The milk-crates will eventually go & I'll build a replica of my original gravity-fed brew-stand that will give me a 6V, 3-level system with complete flexibility for multiple brews in one day, parti-gyle's & built-in redundancy if power goes-out.

I've done a LOT of reading, questioning, thinking, talking & watching other people's setups, so I'd like to extend a heat-felt thanks to everyone who has inspired me to get this far (especially Yob, who was gracious enough to let me pick his brains at a brew-session & now I've expanded on his ideas/kit). That's what I like about this hobby - you never stop learning.

My favourite bit of this is the LBP on the HLT. Yob has one on his HLT (I almost bought his when it was up for sale), that recirculates the sparge water, preventing stratification & hence providing even temperatures. I took it one step further & added a 12V LED light-controller that allows me to precisely control delivery of sparge water at any one of 8 different speeds from a trickle to full-tilt for fly-sparging (no more constantly juggling ball-valve taps) . I can also use it to transfer water to an "inactive" hot-liquor holding tank, then use the "active" HLT to heat more water as required.

Did I forget to mention that I love this hobby?????

DSCN0879.JPG

DSCN0880.JPG

DSCN0881.JPG

Looking good there Martin! Love the HERMS setup, identical to mine. Still haven't used my big brewery yet! Kids......

Looks great Martin. Congrats on getting back in the game! I'd love to bring some brews around sometime and have a yarn about your setup and pick your brains if you're game.

Happy to host folks that want to see/learn stuff. My brains are always "pickable", but you might not like what you find...... :lol:

Where were you tonight Mardoo ? You missed out on the hop deal of the century . I picked up 5 kg of hops from the brew club for gratis . Your bro inlaw said you had some lame excuse like doing the dishes . Is this true ?

beer belly said:
Where were you tonight Mardoo ? You missed out on the hop deal of the century . I picked up 5 kg of hops from the brew club for gratis . Your bro inlaw said you had some lame excuse like doing the dishes . Is this true ?
I was there. Back on topic boyz. :)

MartinOC said:
I can also use it to transfer water to an "inactive" hot-liquor holding tank, then use the "active" HLT to heat more water as required.

Did I forget to mention that I love this hobby?????
I like this idea, an inactive, insulated HLT.

Idea stolen :lol:

shaunous said:
I like this idea, an inactive, insulated HLT.

Idea stolen :lol:
You're welcome! I stole the idea for the whole recirculating HLT pump thing from Yob & expanded on it.

Also, I forgot to give honourable mentions to Law-of-ohms for welding a fitting to the MLT & to Grainer for building the H/X unit.

MartinOC said:
You're welcome! I stole the idea for the whole recirculating HLT pump thing from Yob & expanded on it.

Also, I forgot to give honourable mentions to Law-of-ohms for welding a fitting to the MLT & to Grainer for building the H/X unit.

.....And Schweppes and Pura for the stand! :p

Looks good, mate. Get some grain in there!

Looking great Martin. Well done on getting it to this point.

Gryphon Brewing said:
I just love seeing HERM-IT coils strapped to the new brew rigs.
Hope things go as planned Martin.
Nev
Hi Nev,

Ramp times were a bit down on what I was hoping-for, but I accept that the HERM-IT was really only meant for single batches & my rig is geared to doubles/triples & doesn't have any insulation fitted as-yet, which I'm sure will make a difference.

I was originally thinking of using one of my Jag-Matic coils (see Pic's below), but then a 2nd-hand HERM-IT dropped in my lap for an excellent price (plus the seller paid the postage!!! :D ), so I jumped all over it like a big black Rottweiler.

DSCN0883.JPG

MartinOC said:
Hi Nev,

Ramp times were a bit down on what I was hoping-for, but I accept that the HERM-IT was really only meant for single batches & my rig is geared to doubles/triples & doesn't have any insulation fitted as-yet, which I'm sure will make a difference.

I was originally thinking of using one of my Jag-Matic coils (see Pic's below), but then a 2nd-hand HERM-IT dropped in my lap for an excellent price (plus the seller paid the postage!!! :D ), so I jumped all over it like a big black Rottweiler.
You just need to up the Kw to suit the brew length, should see you getting better ramps.
What brew length you doing now 50L ?
I will try my new 3kw HX out on my next 50L , I expect it will do the job.
What dia are the jags, I could put a 350mm 9Kw up one of those ?
Nev

Mardoo said:
So how would you hook up 2 of the HERM-it coils to lower your ramp times? I'm not working it out...
I think increasing power to one is the answer but putting through twice as much wort IE twin coils may work, just haven't tried it myself.
What restricts to much flow is inadequacy in the false bottom hence restricted flow or stuck grain bed , better up the power and leave flow as is if adequate.
Hope that makes sense ?
Nev

Gryphon Brewing said:
You just need to up the Kw to suit the brew length, should see you getting better ramps.
What brew length you doing now 50L ?
I will try my new 3kw HX out on my next 50L , I expect it will do the job.
What dia are the jags, I could put a 350mm 9Kw up one of those ?
Nev
Yeah, that was one of the reasons I decided not to go with the Jag-Matic coil, as it'd probably need a huge element to achieve quick ramps. I've got a 16A circuit in the shed, but I already have 3 fridges in there & would have to switch them all off if I wanted to run the max. possible element (3.8Kw by my abysmal calculations?).

Brew-lengths are anything from 50-80L.

The Jag-Matic coils are roughly 15cm OD (judging by the photo), so I'd guess ID at 12.5cm?

9Kw!?!?!?!? :blink: :eek: Man, when I design my new place, I'm gonna insist on mega-circuits in the shed & then come talk to you!!

Latest posts

Back