The Great Australian Homebrew Book

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodie

Reaction score
Hi all, has anybody got the above book? If so could I get a copy of the recipe for the "Ironman Ale" from it please?
I have a copy of this book somewhere at home but I have no idea where.
I made this beer 25 years ago and I would like to make it again.
Thank you all

If it is this one I was just flicking through a copy at the local council library. Let me know and I might be able to get you the recipe.

693563572.0.m.jpg

The boss informs me I have a copy!???! (she got it at a garage sale)

Now like your book, my book could be in one of several places as we have moved a few times in the last little while.

The search will start after dinner.

Note the cute comments above, were the only reason the missus took a look at the screen and then recognised the cover. Nice job lads.

Yes Camo6 that is the one, and yes I am an old fart if you ask my kids, 47 years young. I started brewing with my stepfather at around 16.
I had a good stock of well aged beer for my 18th.
The book is here some where I guessing I will find it when I'm not looking for it.
Yes I do have a lot of knowledge, but not just on beer.
If you could find a copy if would be very nice as I would like to make a batch for the June long weekend, I'm a drinker with an archery problem, along with a few others, and I would like to share it with them.

Has anyone had any luck finding the recipe?
woodie

woodie said:
Has anyone had any luck finding the recipe?
woodie
Will try to get to the library sometime. Had left it as Malt Junkie was looking for his copy.

Thank you earle.
I had left it for a while myself.

Checked the online catalogue and someone has it out at the moment. Have placed a reserve so they will let me know when it comes in but I'm second on that list. When I eventually get it I'll get you the recipe.

Might be 26 years by the time you get it.

Cheers

No worries, I have looked around at my local library with no luck.
I wish my filing system was not so good I might be able find things when I put them away.

Iron Man Ale.
~Elephant Sized AbV Ale

Batch size: 20 litres
OG: 1.060

Amber malt extract 1.5kg
Crystal malt 0.75 kg
Brown sugar 1.5kg
White sugar 2.0kg

Irish moss 5g
Hallertau (no AA specified) 45g (20 / 15/ 10)

Heat water in a pan to 60, add crushed crystal malt, stir and raise temp to 67. Turn off heat. Reheat and stir occasionally, maintaining 67C for 1.5 hours.
(Does not specify how much water. 1.5 hours seems a really long time to steep some crystal).

Using hotter water, sparge grains
(does not specify how much water, or how hot)

Boil wort with 20g hallertau for 60 minutes.

Add 15g hallertau, boil for 20 minutes

Add 10g hallertau, Irish moss, boil for 10 minutes, then remove from heat.

Dissolve sugars into wort.
(It says ".. and add to maintain boil". I don't understand this, since we stopped the boil in the previous step)

Strain into fermenter. Rinse hops with hot water putting rinse-water into fermenter too. Top up to 20 litres with cold water.

Allow wort to reach room temperature, check OG (write it down), add yeast.

Ferment for 3 days, then rack to secondary.

Should finish under 1.008, prime bottles with brown sugar.

Translators Note: Does not specify yeast. I suggest WLP059 Melbourne Ale Yeast (currently unavailable) :D
Given the somewhat higher OG and lots of sugar, a larger amount of a really healthy yeast would be better.
Any thing in (brackets) are my notes and comments.
Recipe is not copied verbatim, since although recipes can't be copyrighted, layout can be.

Latest posts

Back