The Great Airlock Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use one

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Well....some use them, others see tham as a wast of time

What do you do...

I just put a bit of tape over the airlock grommet

Yes, but only to keep the flies out.

Cling Film... but only because I cannot see through latex.

Upon typing that, I now realise what has been missing in my bedroom endeavours as well... :rolleyes: :D

I don't rely on them to bubble.

but i think that something has to keep the cockies out so may as well use an airlock :)

I use one to keep things out of my brew.

The S shaped ones are great for drowning small cockroaches. It's a bugger to get them out of there tho.

A bottle cap over the air lock hole is enough to keep anything out when it starts fermenting, until it starts I use an air lock with a couple of drops in it only.

I save time and work in cleaning and santising a lid, grommet and airlock by instead using glad wrap secured with the large rubber o-ring that is designed for the screw lid.

A drawback: It is annoying when a really vigorous ferment is on and the yeast decides to climb out of the fermenter. Glad wrap is no deterent in this case.

regards,
Scott

yeah im an airlocker, used clingfilm for awhile but just found it easier to lock.

50/50. i use airlocks and glad wrap. generally use cheap gin in the air lock (distilled by a friend?).

NO problems yet. I know a certain quintrex who ferments in a 23L plastic food grade cube (like the one's you use for water when camping) he wanders past it every now and then and loosens the lid slightly to release pressure.

Either way it's all better than fermenting in the bath tub. :eek:

i use one im addicted to the bloop bloop sound!!!

I can see ditching the airlock for the ferment as a doable thing, maybe even a helpful thing. But what about for all you lazy mongrels like me that leave it sitting in the mouldy fermenting fridge for several days after active fermentation has ceased ?
Without a steady stream of CO2 coming out of that container, I get real nervous like...

I always use an "S" Air lock and I love them. I'm sure that using cling film and other methods are just as effective but you don't get that lovely "bloopel bloopel" sound.

I simply wedge a cotton wool ball into the opening this alows the CO2 th escape while stoping any air born visiters in.

KHB you beat me to it. I started watching T.V and didn't press send. At least now I'm not the only who is so easily pleased. My wife calls me the expectant father when I pace the halls waiting for the first little bloopel.

i use both types of airlocks.. I make sure everything is sealed well and use it as an indication that fermentation has started/slowing down/stopped.

Airlocks or blow-off tube depending on which fermenter i'm using.

I use it to keep out flying objects (fruit flies etc).

Looking at the ratio of do's to do not's, do we need to start a new thread:

Users of The "no Airlock Method"... ? :ph34r:

Just in case there are some people who aren't getting enough abuse? :D

I also use the cling film and oring method. I just use the lids to drain my fermenters on.
I do occasionally use an airlock in the lid of my cubes (secondary) when im working a lot and can't be around to crack the lid.

Rich

Latest posts

Back