The Grainfather

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based purely on the NZ site price ($995 NZD) these would be $887AU. Obviously the pricing probably won't work that way given different shipping/taxes etc.

Edit: the possible need to sparge is the major drawback to me as it stops this from being a true 1v system. Is it possible that you would just need to top up before the boil?

Here's the info I received from then directly back in August. They have since released in NZ at $995.

"We do not have any set prices at this stage, a rough indication would be around the $1000 NZ mark.
The Grainfather will be available online to Australia , Europe and UK customers in November 2014"

Maybe with the pricing they should call it the GrandFather :D

I can handle not having temperature steps in the controller. I cannot believe they dont use a pid and piss of the manual switching to a 500w element to get around the issue.

:icon_offtopic: Just had a look at their Red IPA recipe, 1kg of Melanoiden.... Whoa.

Cool will take a squizz at Anhc. But might not purchase straight away.

I think it looks good, if I didn't have my DIY brauclone almost finished I would go for it.

HBHB said:
Brewing with one on Monday.

Will let you know how it goes.
Going to watch the imake demo are you? Should be a good day.

Judanero said:
:icon_offtopic: Just had a look at their Red IPA recipe, 1kg of Melanoiden.... Whoa.
and 16% crystal malt...... :huh:

I dont think you will get your hands on Martin from what I have gathered it will probably just be a show and tell. A bit of a shame.

I can see the news headline 'Mash less Grainfather demo turns sour'

Judanero said:

Pratty1 said:
and 16% crystal malt...... :huh:
Made me wonder a little as well......If I wasnt on an Ipad I could add the "vomit" icon here. :):)

Back on deck after a very long day yesterday following a late mash in and 5 1/2 hr trip home thanks to roadworks.

Pics & roundup of the Grainfather (this is actually the MkII, which has just been released in NZ, though the test unit has already clocked up about 50 odd brews & travelled some 50,000klm)

malt pipe.jpg

Gives a basic idea of the set up. Effective, simple, compact and utilitarian.

ramping to mash in.jpg

Select strike temp to wherever you want it and go wash the dishes (or have a beer) doesn't take long.

mashed in & recirculate.jpg
Mash in as normal, hit the switch to recirculate or choose your mash step temp and power up the smaller element. Steps take a few minutes to reach. Pretty effective really.

Handle on grain basket.jpg
Once you reach mash-out temp, attach the handle and lift the basket, rotate to support. let it drain. Go pour another beer. As you near the end of drain, flick on the larger element to ramp for boil

on the boil.jpg
Boil is vigorous enough @ around 8-10% boil off (can't remember exactly what it was)

counter flow wort chiller.jpg
Attach the counter flow wort chiller and pour another beer. In summer in hot weather, a small pre-chiller in some ice/water would be of benefit, depending on your water temperatures.

Is it perfect? No. But it is excellent & I believe good value at under AUD $1k

All in all, an impressive piece of kit that will make brew days that much easier for a lot of brewers.

Ramping times are pretty good, boil is sufficiently vigorous, It can mash in up to about 9kg of grain, though it's a rather thick mash. Pump is efficient & quiet.

IMHO, it's a pretty impressive unit based on first exposure to it.

Thanks for the report and pics. I'm pretty close to commiting to buy.

A couple of questions.

Is the draining to fv or cube fairly straight forward. Pumped or gravity?

My house is 100% solar so current draw is a big consideration when switching to electric. Will this need a 15A power supply?

Cheers,

Trev
Edit: spelling.

Back