The First Metric Brewery.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
375 or 750 are really just conversions from ounces from the imperial system.

Are they? My conversion calculator says that 375ml is 13.2 fl.oz, which would seem a strange number?
I think its more conversion from gallons, as 750ml was around 1/5 of a gallon, and old breweries used to bottle in 'fifths'. Still, having adopted the metric system, we no longer use a fifth (757ml), but instead use the more sensible 750ml. So you see, instead of using bottles that are 1/5 of a gallon, we are using bottles that are 1/4 of a litre. That's metric for you. The fact that they are of a similar size to the old imperial system just shows that this is a sensible size for packaging and distribution.

If we had a thumb and five fingers on each hand we'd use base 12.

1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, Ψ, Ω, 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 1Ψ, 1Ω, 20

And it would seem perfectly normal. Perhaps the Tasmanians could comment on how they like it? :lol:

we are using bottles that are 1/4 of a litre.

*scratches head* shouldn't that be 3/4 ... or are you just trying to trick us :rolleyes:

Nick JD said:
And it would seem perfectly normal. Perhaps the Tasmanians could comment on how they like it? :lol:

I used to work for a Tassie company with a MD who has 6 toes on his feet.

Are they? My conversion calculator says that 375ml is 13.2 fl.oz, which would seem a strange number?
I think its more conversion from gallons, as 750ml was around 1/5 of a gallon, and old breweries used to bottle in 'fifths'. Still, having adopted the metric system, we no longer use a fifth (757ml), but instead use the more sensible 750ml. So you see, instead of using bottles that are 1/5 of a gallon, we are using bottles that are 1/4 of a litre. That's metric for you. The fact that they are of a similar size to the old imperial system just shows that this is a sensible size for packaging and distribution.
1/4 of a liter? 250ml isn't 750.
Its rounded to be close.

Theres nothing wrong with the current system, but there could be a better one.

*scratches head* shouldn't that be 3/4 ... or are you just trying to trick us :rolleyes:

1/4 of a liter? 250ml isn't 750.

Yep, that should be 3/4 of a litre. Of a litre. Litre being metric. Not 0.757 of a litre, which would be the imperial equivalent. Rounded or not, we are using metric, just not neat whole numbers. The imperial servings weren't whole numbers either, as they were a fifth of a gallon. Why would serving a litre of beer rather than 750ml be any more metric?

Theres nothing wrong with the current system, but there could be a better one.

I concur. All bottle sizes must correspond to standard drink sizes! Much more sensible, really.

I just think there should be more in each bottle. I don't care if it's metrically more or imperially more.

I concur. All bottle sizes must correspond to standard drink sizes! Much more sensible, really.
Actually thats a good point! However, most drinks are different strengths, so each brew would have a different bottle haha.

I just think there should be more in each bottle. I don't care if it's metrically more or imperially more.
Very true.

Actually thats a good point! However, most drinks are different strengths, so each brew would have a different bottle haha.

That was kinda my point. And by 'point' I mean 'vehicle of mockery'.

If we had a thumb and five fingers on each hand we'd use base 12.

1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, Ψ, Ω, 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 1Ψ, 1Ω, 20

It's one thing having four fingers on each hand but it's another being able to touch them with the thumb of the same hand.
According to Darwin us Tasmanians are evolving at an alarming rate. :rolleyes:

Don't really know what all the fuss is about the Oil Industry uses both together.

Bits, Drillpipe, Drill Collars and Casing are all in inches by diameter and can be feet or metres in length. Pressures can be PSi or bars depending on the gauges.
ppm are parts per million in both imperial and metric.

Of course then there is Africa where the Oil Company work in Metric but the Drilling Contractor works in feet. Good time to depth graph but about 3.3x shallower than supposed to be.

BP work in dead birds per kilometers squared.

:icon_offtopic: that should kill this thread dead :icon_offtopic:

and whats wrong with the most logical of all .......... 00,01,10,11,100,101,110,111.........................

Does that mean I either have to drink all of the beer or none of the beer?

What will I tell the boss every morning?

Yep I've heard there are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't :)

cheer,
Creedy

and whats wrong with the most logical of all .......... 00,01,10,11,100,101,110,111.........................

Back