The First Metric Brewery.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are your glasses square? If they aren't square you just aren't getting it, mate.

Throw away those petty 333ml glass.
I think you need to invest in some 250ml or 500ml glasses.

If everyone is so against my idea, why are they using kg of ingredients? Liters of water?

Because volume and weight in Australia is measured using the metric system. But I don't necessarily use 4kg or 5kg of grain, I'll use 4.86kg, it's just measured using the metric kilogram system. Same as my bottles are measured in the metric millilitre system (375ml or 750ml). Neither of these use imperial measurements, they already are metric. Just not easy round numbers.

And a 5-pack would be difficult to pack, however a 6 pack (and 24-pack cartons) are easy to pack (2x3 beers, or 4x6 beers) and make the pack stable and transportable.

I know this was tongue in cheek, but for some reason I feel the need to point out the logic errors. :huh:

6 is also far more divisible than 5. for instance, you have a six pack, you can happily divide it between 1,2, 3 or 6 people. a 5 pack, on the other hand...

base 6 is cool.

We should dump this puny decimal system for the much lauded and improved sexidecimal system (base 60) much more versatile and it gels with our modern (actually ancient) 60min hour. Oh yeah and while we're at it we should bring back cuniform writing, no it's not better than our current Greco/Latin system, I just like the look of chook scratchings! :p

I often do 20L batches and fill 10, 2L bottles and drink from a 333ml glass.

I is metic as, bro.

You waste 1ml?

Damn you metricity!! *shakes fist*

ooh and the sexidecimal system.. now theres a reason to go to maths class..

umm can I have 5 minutes alone with this equation

Because volume and weight in Australia is measured using the metric system. But I don't necessarily use 4kg or 5kg of grain, I'll use 4.86kg, it's just measured using the metric kilogram system. Same as my bottles are measured in the metric millilitre system (375ml or 750ml). Neither of these use imperial measurements, they already are metric. Just not easy round numbers.

And a 5-pack would be difficult to pack, however a 6 pack (and 24-pack cartons) are easy to pack (2x3 beers, or 4x6 beers) and make the pack stable and transportable.

I know this was tongue in cheek, but for some reason I feel the need to point out the logic errors. :huh:
Im reffering to the units not the sizes when it comes to ingredients; the reason i asked that is because we use metric for units, but our amounts are just converted from imperial system, get me?

375 or 750 are really just conversions from ounces from the imperial system.
Also, 10 pack would go well split up.

10 pack would go well split up

The only winner would be the bean counters because a brewery would charge more per bottle.

5 x 2 = 10
2 x 5 = 10
1 x 10 = 10

3 x 4 = 12
4 x 3 = 12
6 x 2 = 12
2 x 6 = 12
1 x 12 = 12

worstthreadever.jpg

Ok Scruffy add the following

three pounds eleven shillings and tuppence halfpenny plus four pounds nineteen shillings and elevepence plus five guineas.

I bet you a tanner to a half crown you won't be able to do it without a frign slide rule <_<

Actually the decimal coin system was proposed before the first world war, but got shelved. It was going to be 10 pence to a Florin and 10 Florins to the Pound. That's why in the UK and also Australia (and maybe NZ?) the two shilling piece (current 20c piece here) bore the legend "one Florin".

Tidal Pete and others would still recall that.

Ok Scruffy add the following

three pounds eleven shillings and tuppence halfpenny plus four pounds nineteen shillings and elevepence plus five guineas.

I bet you a tanner to a half crown you won't be able to do it without a frign slide rule <_<

Actually the decimal coin system was proposed before the first world war, but got shelved. It was going to be 10 pence to a Florin and 10 Florins to the Pound. That's why in the UK and also Australia (and maybe NZ?) the two shilling piece (current 20c piece here) bore the legend "one Florin".

Tidal Pete and others would still recall that.

I have a NZ "one florin" 20c piece. I think it's from '69.

I work at a steelworks. Modern tech meets 1950's equipment. I also dabble in the odd home made surfboard. Handy in both instances to know both metric and imperial.

"So Bubba was from Bayou la Batrie, Alabama, and his mama cooked metric. And her mama before her cooked metric, and her mama before her mama cooked metric, too. Bubba's family knew everything there was to know about the metricin' business."

Latest posts

Back