'the Brewery That Changed America'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Economics also plays a big part in pricing as well. 3% of 311 million people is a hell of a lot more then 1% of 22 million people. As most of the breweries say, if they get excise tax breaks, it is unlikely their pricing will come down, it just means they can be far more adventurous/use better quality product, as they don't have to pay excise every single week (unlike wineries, 90% of whom pay no excise at all).

Also, 60 bucks for a carton of Little Creatures is surprisingly fantastic value when you see some of the macro swill going around the place at 45-50, which uses adjuncts to keep costs down. Another reason why Fosters/Swan make lots and lots of money :)

Is there a tax difference between wine and beer ingredients?

Maybe if you only shop at Dan Murphys - otherwise the point above is complete bullshit.

well I shop at warners at the bay they have about 3 fridges per country and they are only single bottles in the fridge. The aussie beers have about 6 fridges with beers but they have 6 packs in there to.

Still most of the australian beers are dearer per bottle then all the imported ones. If you have never been there its nothing like dan murphies they fill up growlers from kegs and they pride them selfs on stocking craft beer not crap beer

Dude have you been living under a rock?

Microbreweries are slugged with more redtape & taxes than you can poke a stick at, while boutique winemakers are practically given a free ride. Politicians spend their weekends touring the wine-regions around Canberra, rather than drinking craftbeer (my theory) and so we have a massive imbalance for two industries which are essentially the same thing.

Checkout: http://fairgocraftbeer.com.au/

Wow!.....I wasn't aware of this either.

You'd think they'd make it a little easier to subscribe though, if they really wanted the support. I looked for a subscription link to be made aware of any future petitions etc, but couldn't find one.

Latest posts

Back