Black Hops: Operation Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyDoesntKnow

Reaction score
Just got this book in the mail yesterday. Anyone else reading/following the guys journey? Press release about it here http://blackhops.com.au/press-release-operation-brewery-book/
I can't even remember how I heard about this brewery, never been there or tried any of their beers, but I saw an ad about their upcoming book somewhere and thought it sounded like an interesting story. I like books like this but they can also be dangerous. Being new to home brewing, everyone probably goes through that stage where they dare to dream. Stories like this can serve as further inspiration to take your hobby past the point of no return... or confirm why you should keep it just that, as a hobby! If nothing else, so far it's a pretty interesting story and there are some good learnings that could be applied when thinking about starting any type of business. I will be up in the Gold Coast at the end of the year and will definitely be stopping in at the brewery to try a few beers.

I live pretty close to them but still haven't been yet. They seem to do a lot of dark beers (probably hence the name), which isn't really my cup of tea, but they seem to be doing well. I've read a few of their blog posts about their setup - book would be interesting.

Yeah. I remember being violently ill after drinking some dodgy eggnog as a kid so I must admit their pilot beer that seemed to be the launching pad, an eggnog stout, doesn't exactly fill me with excitement haha.

I backed them in the pozible campaign, got their beach house saison, shirt, book, name in the book, and sticker.

The book goes into a little bit more detail than the podcast and blog but not a heap. Nice easy read though and good insights.

BKBrews said:
I live pretty close to them but still haven't been yet. They seem to do a lot of dark beers (probably hence the name), which isn't really my cup of tea, but they seem to be doing well.
I wouldn't say they do a lot of "dark beers", but that depends on your definition of a dark beer.

Their beach house saison and bitter fun are good beers, I also had their I <3 lager seasonal last year which was also good.

If you ever see their assault trifle, have it. Incredible.

They are a great bunch of guys, I also backedthe Pozible campaign.
Def visit the brewery if you are on the coast, not just dark stuff.
always a new beer on tap, i think they have 8 taps, a few are the regulars then some random stuff.

Govs the brewer is really good, always found him to be very open with info and keen to help out home brewers.

Latest posts

Back