The Brauduino (Matho’s Controller) Buy thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The addition of spark core as an option has meant that lael had to change the pin out for the board. (Please correct if I'm wrong) So if future wifi dev is important to you this is the board! What Lael does with it in relation to releasing eagle files or making boards available once this bulk buy is done is up to him. The guy has put in so much to this project already then again he maybe suffering the same affliction as yob with BBitiss nasty nasty condition.

kaiserben said:
Is there a list of parts and/or easy to follow instructions on how to make one of these controllers myself? (How much is it likely to cost if not buying parts in bulk?). I've read through many pages, but never sure if I'm reading the most up-to-date info.

And I saw lael mentions wanting to include "Spark Core" Wifi enabled hardware to connect to internet. Did that end up happening?
It is relatively easy to make the controller yourself... however... if you are buying the parts from Jaycar + the circuit board from me it will cost you just on around $220.- $20 extra for the fascia from superoo to put on a solid box from Jaycar. If you want a clear fronted box you can get a similar (but not as solid) as the ones I'm getting for an additional $20.- from Go Electrical. The fascia I supply won't fix the box, however, so you would need to design your own. The standard IEC plugs from Jaycar are rated to 10 Amps - and are not IP65 (splash and dust proof) rated. If you want 15/20A add $5 per plug & per socket. If you want IP65 rated plugs it will cost you roughly an extra $50 (at a minimum). You'll need to drill holes in whatever heatsink you buy and tap them (drill a thread) or get the right self-tapper to fit (around a .5mm difference is about right) otherwise. I've had screws shear off when doing this step.... fun. :)

In my experience building around... 3 or 4 old school controllers? It will take 3-4 hours of measuring and cutting to cut the box with the right holes in the right places, and then you are unlikely to get it right the first time (just my experience - my old controllers the IEC plugs are 'mostly' solid but wiggle around a bit).

I've built the kit based on my experiences of what I wish was available when I was building mine. So... it's easy... screw some things in, apply thermal paste and attach heatsinks, then start doing the 240v wiring - which usually takes me a couple of hours (I'm not quick at it, but I do like to ensure everything is seated right and wired well - [get your wiring approved by your Sparky]. The temp probe works well, and is plug and play - no messing around. All the parts are provided (eg: you get the right amount of high quality thermal (much higher heat transfer rating than the stuff from Jaycar) paste rather than buying a $5-7 tube and using a few grams of it) except for 240v wiring.

The kit is a steal. Unfortunately the cost is going to be $275 incl postage in Aus for new orders as I need to get more parts for the extra orders and the $ has dropped (it was priced for purchasing parts @ 80c vs USD, not the current 70c).

The wifi enable hardware... it doesn't look like it will work at the moment sorry. I delayed the design waiting for some changes from Spark (now Particle) but they were delayed and I needed to get this show on the road. They changed the pin mapping on the new Shield Shield after our circuit boards were produced and the old one doesn't allow the temp probe to communicate properly (onewire and i2c were compromised for those interested). The option available is to make a custom batch of Shield Shields made with pin mapping that will work. That is not likely to happen in the next few months, but I would like to take development in that direction (using the Photon as the controller) in the future.

Hope this helps.

In other news - I've received confirmation that the cargo is safely enroute to Aus.... and I counted and sorted appx 5000 screws and nuts into baggies tonight. :)

Hmm. I might put my plans on hold and see if anything happens with wifi in the future.

Agree with Lael completely, I have one of the original printed boards that he did. The effort and running around to finish it off, especially the cutting of the box and fitting the power plugs were by far the hardest bits. Laels cost is very fair as it would have cost me more to do mine originally than this new kit, looking half as pretty and twice as hard to make. This new kit will be worth every dollar when it arrives, and the my old one will be getting deconstructed into the new brew panel i have planned

kaiserben said:
Hmm. I might put my plans on hold and see if anything happens with wifi in the future.
no problem - to be clear - I won't start that for the next few months and then it's probably six months (as I find time) development etc. So it is unlikely anything would be available before a year.

So Lael,
I know there isn't code developed to suit, but will my new Photon board and Shield Shield not physically fit or work anymore?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1443654751.014275.jpg

LiquidCurrency said:
So Lael,
I know there isn't code developed to suit, but will my new Photon board and Shield Shield not physically fit or work anymore?

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1443654751.014275.jpg
It will physically fit, but the pins on the photon shield shield don't map the same as the original shield shield... I did ask the question before sending the Brauduino boards to production and I thought I had got an answer indicating that it would work. I'm not sure if the photon and shield shield pin out changed after that or what. I've only looked at it long enough to figure out that there is something wrong. I haven't spent much time figuring out which pins are in the wrong place etc. (after I've shipped the kits I'll take a look at it). The shield shield has a cool design for basic prototyping, so it may be possible to re-route the pins with a little soldering. We'll see...

Edit: I realised that explanation may not be as helpful as I thought - essentially the shield shield takes the pins from the brauduino board and re-routes them to pins on the photon, but the routing is not the same as on the original spark core shield shield... which means it won't work.

lael .... **** the proton board. IF theres a code that works and theres a demand for a controller running on the proton , a interface board can be made at a low cost....

A note to the previous comments regading who should get what cudos for code work... ITS A OPEN SOURCE CODE. A lot of people have put a lot of time in writing it and tested it, BUT does Ford credit Mercedes for inventing the car ? Nope.

lael have called the tread Mathos controller bay thread and not once have i seen that he have taken credit for the code or the design of the controller. In my world cudos goes to lael for making a killer kit, thougt thru and making it easy for the commom man to have a nice pieace of kit at a affordable price.

If anyone have hurt feelings regarding anything that lael have done, sit onyour hands and think twice before posting. I know from personal experiance that putting in a lot of work and getting shit for it kills your interest for doing anything for your fellow breewer/man.

I have waited in anticipation for the controller and cant wait for it to arrive, I have reminded myself that lael are a normal man, with family, work and other things in life that the little box baby of his :)

F ing good work from
Ardbir lads
Mathos
Lael

If anyone left out its due to my ignorance and absolutly not intended!!!
I will dedicate my first brew on the controller to the land down under... It will be a old ale wit the name" Dinky- de amber fluid "

lael said:
It will physically fit, but the pins on the photon shield shield don't map the same as the original shield shield... I did ask the question before sending the Brauduino boards to production and I thought I had got an answer indicating that it would work. I'm not sure if the photon and shield shield pin out changed after that or what. I've only looked at it long enough to figure out that there is something wrong. I haven't spent much time figuring out which pins are in the wrong place etc. (after I've shipped the kits I'll take a look at it). The shield shield has a cool design for basic prototyping, so it may be possible to re-route the pins with a little soldering. We'll see...

Edit: I realised that explanation may not be as helpful as I thought - essentially the shield shield takes the pins from the brauduino board and re-routes them to pins on the photon, but the routing is not the same as on the original spark core shield shield... which means it won't work.
Why bother with a shield shield ;)

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13321

Not sure if the levels etc would be compatible.

I saw that when it was first announced. Apparently it was part of the reason Spark changed their name to Particle (apparently sparkfun weren't happy about the name similarities). At the time I wrote it off as it is twice the price of the shield shield. I'll take another look.

I don't remember offhand whether we powered the temp probe from 5v or 3v. Looks like this needs 3v.

freelander2002 said:
F ing good work from
Ardbir lads
Mathos
Lael

If anyone left out its due to my ignorance and absolutly not intended!!!
I will dedicate my first brew on the controller to the land down under... It will be a old ale wit the name" Dinky- de amber fluid "
Whole heartedly agree, there have been few before Lael that made kits available and there have been a few secondary board designs and a great deal of folk here and else where who worked up code; some were just little things, some total rewrites. What Lael has done has made it so simple to put one together. Believe me when I got one of the first 10 Brauduino boards ever made and turned on my soldering iron; I was fearful, I had not soldered a thing (successfully) in my life. It worked it runs my system beautifully.

Yeah you left one or two out... it's all good I(with help) harassed each and everyone of them!
You guys are going to love watching your system step through temps and turn on and off the pump and remind you of tests and hop additions.
Best thing is Lael has made this look like a pro bit of kit (and you get to tell your mates you put it together) :p

MB

Can't we just active serial data and make a pc listen or send commands?

Just a thought, does anyone use Beersmith? Once wifi enabled will this potentially be able to be controlled directly from say Beersmith on a Pc, mobile device or similar?

Latest posts

Back