The Brauduino (Matho’s Controller) Buy thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question to the electronics gurus out there!

I have a couple of these RTD temp sensors from Auber Instruments used in my existing HERMS system: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=249

PT100-L4012NPT.jpg

In my existing setup, the sensor is threaded into a stainless T-piece connected to the HEX output. My question is, will the Brauduino read/accept this type of temp sensor? From the photo posted by Lael (pasted below), the connector on the end of the temp probe looks like a stereo TRS type connector?? Could I get a TRS connector from Jaycar or somewhere, and solder it to the Auber Instruments RTD temp sensor and plug it in to the Brauduino? Or would there be changes required to code or other complications.....??

Cheers!

post-26092-0-15195900-1437789145.jpg

@ BobCharlie
In my existing setup, the sensor is threaded into a stainless T-piece connected to the HEX output. My question is, will the Brauduino read/accept this type of temp sensor? From the photo posted by Lael (pasted below), the connector on the end of the temp probe looks like a stereo TRS type connector?? Could I get a TRS connector from Jaycar or somewhere, and solder it to the Auber Instruments RTD temp sensor and plug it in to the Brauduino? Or would there be changes required to code or other complications.....??

Cheers!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This might help:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/59563-mathos-controller/page-33#entry976844
:icon_cheers:

To answer the above temp probe questions.

1) no an RTD WILL NOT WORK (without significant reprogaming ) the sensor used is a DS18b20 from dallas instruments and very common is the arduino world and very accurate for what we do I see no technical advantage to warrant the coding work that would be required.

2) The kit comes with a weldless threaded fitting so it can go through the side of a vessel and bolt up liquid tight.

3) BobCharlie, real_beer, if your T piece is 1/2", you have a few choices (there's a few ways to skin this particular cat) 10mm-1/2 bush or a thermowell as above could be used with a standard straight probe or you could try and find a 1/2" ds18b20 they were used for brewtroller and up until probably 6 months ago available from brewers hardware but no longer unfortunately; this would then need the TRS connector added. the easiest would be an ss Bush.

ed: link

zwitter said:
Spark core / photon

Just for those not geeky enough to know what these are.
The Mathos controller is designed around an Arduino Uno which is a single chip computer designed for making small projects and there are millions of them and they are relatively cheap. They have been copied and smaller versions (nano) and larger versions (mega) made. The Uno in the Matho has hit one of the limitations in that the software now uses about 96% or the available memory space. This means things like auto hop robots and motorised valves etc can not be added.

The Photon / spark is a bit physically smaller but has more memory but the programming is different. There is a shield (circuit board ) that allows the spark to plug into that makes it compatible to plug in instead of the Uno into the Matho. The problem is someone with lots of time and programming skills will need to rewrite the software so it will run on the spark.

For the normal Matho it is not required. Probably as the hop robot etc would need more inputs and outputs it may be better making a circuit board specifically for the Spark /photon and call it Matho II.

Ok that makes it 4c now.

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Actually the kit comes with the Mega so there will be code space and spare pins for added extras as above,(if you want to build them and code them in) the spark is another step up, with the added bonus of wifi built in!

MastersBrewery said:
3) BobCharlie, real_beer, if your T piece is 1/2", you have a few choices (there's a few ways to skin this particular cat) 10mm-1/2 bush or a thermowell as above could be used with a standard straight probe or you could try and find a 1/2" ds18b20 they were used for brewtroller and up until probably 6 months ago available from brewers hardware but no longer unfortunately; this would then need the TRS connector added. the easiest would be an ss Bush.

ed: link
Masters do you reckon a 1/2" SS cap on the end of the T piece, drilled out to 10mm with threads cut in would be another solution? That's what I've been thinking of doing.

Thanks for the info guys - so the RTD probes are a no go with the Brauduino.....

So, to get the temp probe which is included with the kit into a T-piece....I haven't seen the temp probe in the flesh (so I'm probably wrong here), but from the photo it looks like the threads are "on the back" (for lack of a better description), such that they can be neatly installed through the wall/base of a pot, with the nut tightened outside the pot.....but with these threads on the back of the probe, I can't visualize how you'd screw the temp probe into a bush??......or am I missing something....?

The temp probe would have to screw into the threaded cap or bush from the inside (if that makes sense) then said bush or cap installed to the "T", very similar/same to QldKev's solution for his 1V

How many people are interested in a 1/2" bsp temp probe?

Just confirming - yes the kit comes with an Arduino Mega, not a Uno.

- RTD probes won't work as Masters has said.

- the temp probe that comes with the kit is designed for the bottom of the pot - though should work in the side of a pot but may need a thicker washer. It uses a 10mmx1.5mm pitch thread at the fastening side.

Good to know that the probe is designed for the bottom of the pot, I've just bought a new 100L & was planning on mounting it to the side.

lael said:
How many people are interested in a 1/2" bsp temp probe?
I'd be interested in one......it might come in handy to be able to easily connect the Brauduino to a temp sensor which is installed in a T-piece on a HEX or vessel outlet.....

It will most likely work fine. It just depends on the circumference of the pot and the curvature of the pot wall. Hence my comment about needing a thicker washer.

breakbeer said:
Good to know that the probe is designed for the bottom of the pot, I've just bought a new 100L & was planning on mounting it to the side.

What are my options if I want to control two 3kw elements?

I don't feel that one is sufficient for a 50L Braumeister clone. I was thinking of either rewiring things and using both of the Brauduino sets of SSR and in/out plugs for heating, and something new for the pump. Or I would have to take the feed to the heater on to something else of my own creation.

Dean.

Hi Dean,
No problem. There is a relay on board for the pump. The two SSRs are for two heating circuits. Each should be able to hankde up to 20A @ 240v if wired correctly.

Latest posts

Back