The Brauduino (Matho’s Controller) Build/Advice/Question Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
Midway through a brew and thinking "this is taking forever to get to the boil", check the controller and it's not working.
Opened it up and it had a faint smoke smell. All cables are secured and I cant see the cause of the fault.
Anyone in Brisbane who could give me a hand diagnosing the problem?
Thanks!

not necessarily, usb could be flakey you'd need to power via the 12v supply to be certain.

Hi finally got both of my units fully wired up for 240v power etc. They both work now but the previous issue one reads about 20C higher temp than the other. Any ideas? Can you recalibrate 0 and 100c in the settings if so I can’t find it. Or do you think I may have an issue with the temp probe wiring or resistor. The sensors are ok as the issue stays with the box when I swap them over.

Appreciate it if anyone had seen this before and can help.

Thanks

Matt

Anyone have any spare temp probes they want to part with? Chasing a new one and perhaps another as a spare if possible.

Hi there,

I have searched the forum but cannot find an answer to my question, so I thought I would post it here!

I have a braudino setup on my 1 vessel system, but have started using my 3 vessel system again for some big brew days. After being spoilt for temperature control on the braudino, I am thinking about a braudino setup on the 3 vessel system.

Has anyone attempted to configure a braudino to a 3 vessel system? I have a gas fired kettle, but am thinking about the possibility of running the HLT and MT off the unit. Does anyone think this is possible, or am I better off buying some PIDS instead?

Cheers,
Jase

Hi there,

I have searched the forum but cannot find an answer to my question, so I thought I would post it here!

I have a braudino setup on my 1 vessel system, but have started using my 3 vessel system again for some big brew days. After being spoilt for temperature control on the braudino, I am thinking about a braudino setup on the 3 vessel system.

Has anyone attempted to configure a braudino to a 3 vessel system? I have a gas fired kettle, but am thinking about the possibility of running the HLT and MT off the unit. Does anyone think this is possible, or am I better off buying some PIDS instead?

Cheers,
Jase
I use mine with a HERMS .
Run in MANUALl mode to pump from HLT to Mash Tun.
Run on AUTO mode for the Mash and then skip the other stages
Run again in MANUAL mode to recirculate when batch sparging.

I use mine with a HERMS .
Run in MANUALl mode to pump from HLT to Mash Tun.
Run on AUTO mode for the Mash and then skip the other stages
Run again in MANUAL mode to recirculate when batch sparging.
Thanks gap,

I am trying to come up with a way to monitor both the HLT and mash tun temperatures with the braudino. I'm not sure that it can be done.

Cheers,
Jase

Hi all, I’ve done a quick search but couldn’t find any info. I have a controller, it’s been in storage for a while now and doing a trial run yesterday I had problems when using the pump cycle and heat together. After a short period of the pumpmrunning in either manual or automatic the controller screen throws up jargon and both heat and pump shut down. As lon as I don’t use the pump it’s fine. Any ideas?

So ive had my unit tested, and it looks like its the control board thats the issue, all the relays etc still work. How hard would it to be to get a replacement/make a new one?

Hi all, I’ve done a quick search but couldn’t find any info. I have a controller, it’s been in storage for a while now and doing a trial run yesterday I had problems when using the pump cycle and heat together. After a short period of the pumpmrunning in either manual or automatic the controller screen throws up jargon and both heat and pump shut down. As lon as I don’t use the pump it’s fine. Any ideas?

This sounds like a EMF problem. Option 1 - run the 12v into the pump relay and then out to an SSR - if you are only using 1 of the SSRs in the controller, this is a good option. Otherwise you will need to find a dual SSR.
Option 2- and something you should do anyway - check all your wiring to make sure everything is fully secured and that wires are only as long as they need to be.

Which pump are you using?

So ive had my unit tested, and it looks like its the control board thats the issue, all the relays etc still work. How hard would it to be to get a replacement/make a new one?

Hi lespaul,

I have some spares if you are after another one - PM me.
When you say you had it tested - what was showing up as the issue?

Thanks gap,

I am trying to come up with a way to monitor both the HLT and mash tun temperatures with the braudino. I'm not sure that it can be done.

Cheers,
Jase

Hi Jase,

The unit wasn't really designed for this, but if you are willing to do some coding and simple hacking, it shouldn't be too hard. I would need to look back over how ds18b20 works, and what is on the board, but you should be able to add another temp probe into the same socket - it might need a resistor across 2 of the wires. Then you would need to reference the address of the temp probes and modify the display to show the second temp.
Alternately - if you aren't in need of high accuracy temp control in your HLT - then use something like an STC1000, or Inkbird controller. Depends on how you are running your MLT heating, but I know some people are running the Brauduino to control RIMS.

Anyone have any spare temp probes they want to part with? Chasing a new one and perhaps another as a spare if possible.

I have some spares if people want them - happy to help people out to get them.

Hi lael, the unit was tested by a sparky mate who knows nothing about electronics (best I could do). He said everything tested fine except the control board. So that's all I have to go off.
Will pm shortly

Hey guys... so I just got home to find that my dog has chewed the temp probe in half.. ‍♂️
Anyone know where I can buy another one of these? It’s the one with the 3.5mm headphone cable..

Cheers

IMG_1535446747.252324.jpg

I would suggest you contact Lael as he has the spares. Alternatively you could buy a plug and solder it on the cable?
Zwitter
James

Hey Brendandrage
The problem you are experiencing is indeed EMF or basically noise caused by the relay switching the current to the pump. When the relay opens and closes it causes a spark and along with that an RF output that then is “ received” by some of the sensitive circuits in the display and it scrambles the display.

The answer is to separate the 240v wiring from the low voltage wiring. Basically one on one side of the box and the other on opposite side.

Alternatively I posted a permanent solution where if you use a 240v pump you can remove the relay and replace it with a small SSR. This totally removes the issue. I did this with mine and never had a further issue.

The instructions were posted in the build thread. I can email them to you if you can not find them.

Zwitter
James

I've emailed and messaged lael a few times with no response. Not sure if he's still around the forums??? Lael!! I need a new control board! Helpppp

Hey MB,
Cheers mate, nope don't fancy any software mods I have enough drama with English as a first language!

I had a quick look at ds18b20 probes and doesn't look like they are available at the length I need.
So will have to come up with another option, most likely another probe into the top of the malt pipe. Then switch over for the boil.
I should of got the extra probe with the kit...
Do the pre made sensors with the 3.5mm audio jack all use the same wiring configuration?

You no doubt got yours well and truly sorted long ago, but for other people in the future the controller and pre made sensors that come with the lael's kit are wired with the Center Pin VCC & the Middle is DQ. So GND stays the same and the other two are switched around.

Back