The Brauduino (Matho’s Controller) Build/Advice/Question Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LiquidCurrency said:
So I broke this. Jaycar only has red. Anyone know where I can get another?
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1446717274.352472.jpg
how did you do that ;)
you know the colours don't matter right :)

MastersBrewery said:
ok joined the earth :D, put little circles where wires attach, couldn't do the dot thing, this software sux.
looks good. though hopefully people actually look at the pins designation on the sockets as there is nothing stopping you mounting them 180 degrees and therefore some of those 'circled' connections will be backwards (L/N swapped)

So anyone copying those pics
L on the sockets - 'Active' pict
N on the sockets - 'Neutral' pic
Ground on the sockets- Earth pic

Howdy some comments

OneEye, I agree with Masters and these connectors are approved for 240v and 20A. There is no way even a baby could get fingers in there. And they lock and they seal.
I think they are better in this application than IEC style plugs and sockets and nicer than the 16A IECs to use. But you can not satisfy everyone. Feel free to use something else.

Masters, do you do portraits.?

Liquid Currency, how? Why?
I know Lael sourced these from China so probably he will be the best person to get one from. In the interim use any coloured one jaycar has.

Zwitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Best advice is if you don't like live power lines around and think you may unplug the controller accidentally, plug them in (they lock real well) and don't ever take them off, simples! These don't unplug just by giving them a yank, you have to pull back the clip and twist, then pull, leave them as a permanent fixture, I will be.

Cheers for the comments boys. Dad is just being the overly cautious sparky that he is... guess that is what makes him good at his job. Think I'll just be leaving her plugged in permanently anyway as Masters said

Thanks for the photos and advice gents.

So the outputs from the Arduino are heater - PWM and pump relay - on/off.
It seems that wiring examples so far have been for a 240 V AC pump.

Can anyone give some advice on how to wire it for a little brown pump (12V DC)

ramu_gupta said:
Thanks for the photos and advice gents.

So the outputs from the Arduino are heater - PWM and pump relay - on/off.
It seems that wiring examples so far have been for a 240 V AC pump.

Can anyone give some advice on how to wire it for a little brown pump (12V DC)
I'll put something up, I actually had matho's pic of that. Just a note of advice you will need to use a different type of connection to the 12v pump, purely as a major factor in safety. See what I can do tonight.

MastersBrewery said:
I'll put something up, I actually had matho's pic of that. Just a note of advice you will need to use a different type of connection to the 12v pump, purely as a major factor in safety. See what I can do tonight.
Thanks MB.
Much appreciated.

Does anyone know where lael got the enclosures from? One of these would be a great size for my dual brewpi build

tateg said:
Does anyone know where lael got the enclosures from? One of these would be a great size for my dual brewpi build
He may have a spare or 2 cut out as you recieved. Otherwise sure when he's back in a few weeks he can let you know. If/ when he does drop me a pm.

In relation to connecting the solid state relays dose it matter if you connect your element to 1 or 2?

I had mine wired up for me today and it seems we are having an issue. We are getting a flickering on the screen, initially I get the ardBir start up logo, then I get the main screen, about 1 second later it's flickering and the text is gone, almost like it is two rows of squares. Nothing works from this point on.

The electrician has tested the 240vac input to the transformer,tested ok, 12vdc output tested ok. The SSRs were swapped to eliminate it as faulty, then disconnected the pump, heat, ssr, thermometer and buzzer, but still we get the flicker. He also tried a separate 12vdc transformer but it is still flickering.

Running the PCB directly with USB everything is fine but as soon as it's wired up the issue occurs. Only difference is USB runs off 5v, where the transformer runs 12v. The jumper on the main PCB is set to 12v.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

sluggerdog said:
The electrician has tested the 240vac input to the transformer,tested ok, 12vdc output tested ok. The SSRs were swapped to eliminate it as faulty, then disconnected the pump, heat, ssr, thermometer and buzzer, but still we get the flicker. He also tried a separate 12vdc transformer but it is still flickering.

Any ideas or suggestions?
If you wire up only (and out of the box even)
240v->DC transformer->Arduino board (and ensure 240v/12v wiring is separated)

That would be my first point of debugging

SBOB said:
If you wire up only (and out of the box even)
240v->DC transformer->Arduino board (and ensure 240v/12v wiring is separated)

That would be my first point of debugging
Thanks. Unfortunately he already tried this, still the scrambling issue.

sluggerdog said:
Thanks. Unfortunately he already tried this, still the scrambling issue.
strange
My first guess was 12v interference

hopefully someone with more info on the boards can pitch in

Hi Slugerdog

The jumper on the board is if you use a 5 or 12v relay. It is fitted witha 12v relay so do not move the jumper.

I would double check the arduino mega is fully plugged in to the brauduino shield.

If it is then probably next is to pull the arduino off and closely inspect the brauduino board for joints that may not have solder on them.

Failing that probably best to get a spare sent out. They were all tested before shipping and some needed pushing the arduino down but all did run. We found 4 that did not ship due to errors.

I will contact Lael and see if can help out with some of these issues.

James zwitter

zwitter said:
Hi Slugerdog

The jumper on the board is if you use a 5 or 12v relay. It is fitted witha 12v relay so do not move the jumper.

I would double check the arduino mega is fully plugged in to the brauduino shield.

If it is then probably next is to pull the arduino off and closely inspect the brauduino board for joints that may not have solder on them.

Failing that probably best to get a spare sent out. They were all tested before shipping and some needed pushing the arduino down but all did run. We found 4 that did not ship due to errors.

I will contact Lael and see if can help out with some of these issues.

James zwitter

Thanks, I took a look but couldn't see anything loose. I would have thought although I'm probably wrong that if the board + arduino worked via USB then it would be correctly attached? Everything is fine via USB.

Regarding the board, I have taken some photos, it may not be possible to see them but just incase here they are:

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

Thanks Again.

Back