The best choice of two evils?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menoetes

Reaction score
Hey Brewheads,

Desperate times call for desperate measures. SWMBO needs my brewfridge empty by this weekend in preperation for xmas; it's going to be a regular fridge for the duration of the silly season.

So now I have a decision to make; the two fermenters in there should finished fermenting by then but I'm not going to get much of a chance to cold-crash them as I usual would before then. So here's my choice...

Do I just bottle them on saturday without the customary week of settling/mellowing then cold-crashing

or

Do I sit the fermenters out of the fridge at ambient temp (currently around 28 - 35'c at my place here in brisbane) for a week or so to settle/mellow before bottling?

I'm concerned that the higher temps outside the fridge might have the yeast giving of bad flavours even though it's finished but I don't know for certain. I'd appreciate any advice.

Cheers,
Meno

Wooo, second fridge for Xmas,

If finished, bottle, take the hit on getting a bit more sediment, I'd not leave em out at those temps

Time to hit free cycle for another fridge!

Once most of the fermentation has finished a couple of days at ambient shouldn't ruin a beer if you're worried about it not being finished. If it's finished just bottle it.

You could ry to find a cooler spot inside the house, like under the stairs or the laundry or where ever the fermenter is not in the way.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up a minute. Who told her your precision temperature controlled fermentation chamber could be used to keep food cool?!

some kind of ghetto evap cooling setup with some wet materials and a fan?

If they are finished and conditioned, bottle, carbonate then chill all the bottles upright.

Just agree to empty your brew fridge as soon as she empties her wardrobe.

Slightly more helpfully, don't bottle unless it's finished fermenting or you'll risk getting bottle bombs, a very grumpy SWMBO and a sad Menoetes. If you must bottle early, at least try to take the remaining gravity points still left into account when calculating the sugar to add to reduce the risk.

Camo6 said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up a minute. Who told her your precision temperature controlled fermentation chamber could be used to keep food cool?!
Hahaha gold! But sometimes we don't have a choice... Lol

All good advice... well most of it anyway :)

I'll just bottle as late as possible I think. I couldn't be bothered setting up a ghetto cooling method right now and don't have the time to anyway.

Cheers gents

If you need a couple of days for fermentation to finish but need to have them out of the fridge, place fermenter in a garbage bag and tie the top, place this in a second bag and but in half a bag of ice and tie the top. This is quick, simple and will get you out of trouble.
Cheers

If fermentation is mostly finished wouldn't it be better to have the brew sitting at ~30°C for a few days than bottle early? I'd be concerned about diacetyl and all info I've read suggests that higher temps late in the ferment will have little/no impact on flavour.

Back