The Barley Crusher Mill - Good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincleanoff

Kings Cross Brewery
Reaction score
Has anyone used "The Barley Crusher" mill?

http://www.barleycrusher.com/barleycrusher.php

Does this compare to the monstermills/crankandstein models? I can get it for $225, which includes a hopper and free 25kg bag of pilsner. This sounds like a good deal, but is the quality as good as the more popular brands?

I'm going to be doing about 10kg of grain each batch.

Should i go for -
-Monstermill MM2.20. - US$204 delivered OR
-Crankandstein 2D 155 delivered OR
-The Barley Crusher - AU$225 and includes 25kg of grain

I use one and have put 30 odd (single) batches of grain through it using a variable speed electric drill.

Works very well and have not had any problems.

Is it better than any other????

Don't know, its the only mill I've had.

I don't know what mine cost as my wife bought it for me for Xmas.

Sounds like a good deal though.

Scott

I've been happily using mine for the past year and had no trouble except when the rubber O ring broke. Was easily enough to find a replacement at the local clark rubber.

Dunno if it's any better than the other alternatives but it does the job adequately enough and to wave 25kg carrot with the purchase is a pretty good incentive in my book.

I have had my Barley Crusher for 5 years. Easily crushed a few tonne in that time & still going strong.
Cheers
Gerard

Monstor and Crankandstein have larger diameter rollers, which is preferable. On the flip side they don't come with hoppers etc. The BC is very convenient - its ready to use right out of the box, whereas the other mills will need to be set up and have hoppers and bases fabricated.

I have a Barley Crusher and have put almost 100AG batches (including a few 150L big batches) worth of grain through it with no major problems. I had some trouble getting it to bite the grain properly for a while but it seems a good clean of the rollers with a wire brush sorts that out. Other than that I can't fault it. I drive mine with an 18v cordless drill.

Having said all that, if it broke and I had to get another mill, I'd get a Monstor Mill. But the way things are going I don't think that day will come any time soon!

-The Barley Crusher - AU$225 and includes 25kg of grain
Don't own one myself, but it sounds like a great deal (fwiw I use a Monster MM2).
Not as big as some of the other crushers, but it still sounds like it gets the job done quickly.
Also comes already mounted, and has a hopper - which is another $ and time saving.
Go for it!

For small to medium-scale homebrewing, the BC rocks. Simple and well-made.

My only regret is that when I bought mine the $A wasn't quite so strong as now!

I've been happily using mine for the past year and had no trouble except when the rubber O ring broke. Was easily enough to find a replacement at the local clark rubber.

I'd forgotten about the O ring.

Mine 'disappeared' during the third batch and I never bothered to replace it.

Works fine with out it.

Scott

The O-ring is not necessary. In fact on their documentation it says so, as I recall.

snip... I had some trouble getting it to bite the grain properly for a while but it seems a good clean of the rollers with a wire brush sorts that out.
I've had this annoying problem too but cleaned them off with a clean paint brush. I've found a regular drop of oil on each of the bushes can help prevent this too.

Steve

I make sure I give the rollers a thorough brush after every mill, works a treat.

Put a thread in on gear & equipment about making a mill & still sourcing parts for it , just have to get the stainless bar. Thinking maybe bronze, brass, mild steel but ss would be the go.

Roger & Tony made a couple of rippers so I am keen to emulate.

Just wondering how much knurl are on the rollers (deep) & is that why you have to cleen them when it gets cloged. If so it sounds important to have a good knurl on them.

Just on some feed back for design cheers.

Put a thread in on gear & equipment about making a mill & still sourcing parts for it , just have to get the stainless bar. Thinking maybe bronze, brass, mild steel but ss would be the go.

Roger & Tony made a couple of rippers so I am keen to emulate.

Just wondering how much knurl are on the rollers (deep) & is that why you have to cleen them when it gets cloged. If so it sounds important to have a good knurl on them.

Just on some feed back for design cheers.

G'day bloke,
The barley crusher has a fairly aggressive knurl which helps to pull the grain in with the smaller diameter rollers. If you opt for a larger diameter roller then the knurl can be lighter. Like Roger and Tony (and many others) I made mine based on Gav's roller mill design that you linked on the other thread and am very happy with it. My rollers are mild steel and do tend to corrode slightly if left unused for any amount of time but I try to prevent that from happening :ph34r: . Feel free to PM me if you wanted to drop by for a look :)
Oh and back on topic, conrats Capt'n on your new purchase. :)

Latest posts

Back