The Ashes Series 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well what can I say, I suppose it's our turn for a bit of whinging... 3 out of the first 4 wickets taken in Aus 2nd innings were just wrong decisions... Strauss, claiming a catch (perhaps he really didn't know it was on the ground :blink: ) Mr Cricket bat was no where near the ball, yet another claimed wicket, and Kat out on a no-ball (ok, that one I can deal with - you don't see all the no-balls, but geez)

Anyway, enough of the whining, hopefully we can pull off a magnificent 2nd innings, and stick it to the poms and break any spirit that might be building inside that camp.

Actually there were 5 decisions that went against us...

3 in the second innings.
The Ponting dismissal in the 1st innings - the 3rd umpire should have told Rudi that Ricky didn't hit it (as per the laws of the game) when Rudi asked whether it had carried
The Hauritz catch - If this wasn't out then the Strauss catch shouldn't have been, or at least it should have been referred.

5 decisions that maybe would have accounted for 4 wickets (the close catches should've both been not out - only 1 wicket) and we still might win the game in miraculous circumstances. Great work from the Aussies, getting on with the job at hand and showing some good old ticker. The decisions have been made and hopefully won't happen again (to Australia :eek:)!

Umpiring like we have seen in this test takes away from the game. You will hear me from Mildura if we can beat the combined pohms & umpires in this test, I may even get the 'you bloody little beauty' dance out.

In my job, if I didn't use the tools that my employer has given me to make correct decisions then I would certainly be given a warning and dependent on the outcome it may be instant dismissal. I would only get 3 warnings and it would be bye.

why should it be any different in any professional sport? they get paid to do a job and they didn't.

whinge over.

Umpiring like we have seen in this test takes away from the game. You will hear me from Mildura if we can beat the combined pohms & umpires in this test, I may even get the 'you bloody little beauty' dance out.

In my job, if I didn't use the tools that my employer has given me to make correct decisions then I would certainly be given a warning and dependent on the outcome it may be instant dismissal. I would only get 3 warnings and it would be bye.

why should it be any different in any professional sport? they get paid to do a job and they didn't.

whinge over.

No good whinging about the umpires - they do their best and are certainly not cheats. They don't have action replays, but must make their minds up immediately. Been a cricket umpire at lower grades. hard there - hate to think of the pressures at test level.

I guess what you should be saying is - the game is professional. We hate the use of replays but I reckon what happened at South Africa (you got 2 referrals per innings - if upheld, you get that one free). Now that makes sense. All in favour of that.

No good whinging about the umpires - they do their best and are certainly not cheats. They don't have action replays, but must make their minds up immediately. Been a cricket umpire at lower grades. hard there - hate to think of the pressures at test level.

I guess what you should be saying is - the game is professional. We hate the use of replays but I reckon what happened at South Africa (you got 2 referrals per innings - if upheld, you get that one free). Now that makes sense. All in favour of that.

There has been too much match fixing/cheating in this once great game. Who would have ever thought Hansie Cronje was a match fixer, I am sure many other players and umpires went/are undetected? I am pretty sure test umpires get paid nicely and if they don't want the pressure then no one is making them umpire, likewise if they don't want to refer decisions to a 3rd umpire then they should be held accountable.

I too have umpired, that is why I am quite disappointed with what has happened.

Aren't they using the 3rd umpire/video umpire in this series, doesn't that mean they don't have to make their mind up straight away. I think they should be 'educated' for making a wrong decision when they had the option to refer that decision to a 3rd umpire/video ump.

I thought when I wrote "why should it be any different in any professional sport? they get paid to do a job and they didn't" that indicated I was saying 'the game is professional'

I like the use of replays, giving one, two or three quality batsmen out when they are not in one innings influences the game too much.

the game is changing and the umpiring needs to keep up, otherwise they will continue to lose supporters to other games.

I'll keep an ear out for ya, but you'll have to stick the 'dance' up on youtube, deal? Tell ya, if the boys pull this off, not only does that give us the lead in the series, and another world record, but also the psychological advantage that the poms will take years to get over. bring that on! :beerbang:

here's hoping - I'm naming my next beer after the boys sportin' the baggy green!

F&#K!! Come on Mitch, time to redeem yourself.

If Mitch can't bat, he's gone!

Well it was a big ask, our 11 playing against englands top 11, 2 umpires (not 3) and a physio... Or was that the previous poor sporting outcome? Go mitch! Make them work for it.

only 140 more runs... but only 2 wickets in hand :eek:

Bugger! Good effort boys. Be backing you for Trent bridge.

So do they play Horror again?
Probably so, unless his finger gives him trouble, then surely clark in for him... or Siddle...
Next Test is a must win.

And they call us the whinging poms ! :rolleyes:

(and this brings up my 50)

And they call us the whinging poms ! :rolleyes:

(and this brings up my 50)

No, we now call you poor sports (test1) and cheats (test2) lets see what England can pull out of their bag of tricks in the third test.

Which team is worse for the future of cricket; England, India or the Umpires?

That said Flintoff bowled as good or better than anyone in world cricket at the moment.

Both tests have been great to watch, drama, controversy and good cricket. Don't know if you guys get the same tv commentary but Shane Warne was very good, especially when paired with Ian Botham. Ponting look like he was chewing a wasp for two days but was magnanimus in defeat. Looking forward to the third test. Think should find new umpires, those two where terrible.

Ok here we go. Time for a win, although I'm thinking Watson for Hughes is a big chance I really don't think I'd take, but there's reasons that Im not a selector. C'mon Aussie c'mon!

Gah, Watson is a broken man. He can't handle test cricket and will soon do a "Flintoff". The selectors are obviously not looking to the future, Hughes has been in pretty decent form... he may not have made big scores but you shouldn't get blamed when you're dismissed without actually getting out. It also makes no sense to drop Hughes and keep Hussey and North. I hope they put Clark in too...

This match is pretty much a tour match anyway, we'll be lucky to get 3 days of play and almost no chance of a result. All the more reason to keep Hughes in to "regain form" and play 5 bowlersto give us a better chance of triggering an English collapse. My money's on a draw, literally, and I got in when it was $2.20, it's now $1.50ish!

Good call with a draw. And agree that Clark should come in, but if it ends up turning big in the final day, you'd want north.

Stupid rainy pommie land (says he from the state that needs a desal plant)

Latest posts

Back