The Ashes Series 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamt

Too busy (lazy) to brew.
Reaction score
Ahh the Ashes... not too far away now.

The English have been whinging about Aussie players playing in County cricket.

They're overestimating their lineup... after beating a deplorable WI side in a home series (and losing to them before hand in WI).

The underestimate Hauritz and McDonald as bowlers, they haven't played against either of them or Siddle, or Hughes.

They don't have a proper captain or coach.

All these point to a disasterous loss on the cards for England... could it get any worse? Ohhhhhh yes it can! They just lost to THE NETHERLANDS in the first game of the world T20, at home.

Ahh the Ashes... not too far away now.

The English have been whinging about Aussie players playing in County cricket.

They're overestimating their lineup... after beating a deplorable WI side in a home series (and losing to them before hand in WI).

The underestimate Hauritz and McDonald as bowlers, they haven't played against either of them or Siddle, or Hughes.

They don't have a proper captain or coach.

All these point to a disasterous loss on the cards for England... could it get any worse? Ohhhhhh yes it can! They just lost to THE NETHERLANDS in the first game of the world T20, at home.

Do not underestimate the Poms this year. I watched a fair bit of the Poms v WI series on Fox and and both sides are stronger than you think. Deplorable is may too harsh. England has a good pace attack for local conditions and some new batsmen who won't be scared of our attack. And Australia traditionally has heaps of problems with left arm offies. And if they can actually gel as a team (like the Kiwis do against us) then, you just never know ! Remember our last series in England .. we actually suffered self doubt and nerves and lost tests we should have won easily.

That said, neither WI or England are in the same class as South Africa, so the last 6 tests against SA is far better warmup than a 20/20 series. I think we'll thrash 'em.

Didn't England just lose to Holland?

I'm not sure this conversation is worth having.

That's what I said bum! Hilarity at its' finest!

Ohhhhhh yes it can! They just lost to THE NETHERLANDS in the first game of the world T20, at home.
If they struggle it 20 overs against a nation who barely knows the game, how will they go against the world champs in a 5 day challenge! :lol:

But yeah seriously, i'm a bit uncertain about the Poms right now. Mainly because they still have some potential good players in the team, and even if they don't fire in the VERY shortened form of the game, they can still cause havoc to our bowling attack. And it's happened before!

That's what I said bum! Hilarity at its' finest!

My apologies.

Man, wouldn't it be good if The Nether-regions actually became a serious cricket nation though? We could finally do something with that Australia vs Holland thing they always try to manufacture around the Olympics.

After the holland match I thought is it not worth turning up for the Ashes, but then I saw your blokes against the WI today. Maybe we have got a chance. Test matches are a lot different to 20/20.

Maybe you Aussies should brew some good English ales to catch the atmosphere. When the last ashes series was here an Aussie came onto a UK site asking what brewerys were close to the test grounds so he could brew a local beer for each match.

Cricket is a great game, for helping me sleep after night shift. Usually takes a few overs :icon_cheers: . I find it a bit like soccer, a really great game is awesome to watch, but so many times one side is completely in control for the whole game, and its a bit of a yawn.

I absolutely loved watching the ashes we lost, not because we lost, but because it was great cricket. I remember the feeling of utter disbelief when kaspa got caught behind with 3 runs or something to go. Never forget that.

England pumped WI in the test series. WI then pumped us in the T20 first round game. Does that mean we're in for a long Winter? No. T20 means nothing.

We will win the Ashes if Hughes keeps on piling on the runs like he has been in country cricket. And the selectors pick the right side. We outplayed SA with Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus as the strike bowlers. English conditions will only help Siddle and Hilfy especially. I really don't want to see Lee or Clark play ahead any of the three incumbents.

Australia 4-0 with one draw due to weather.

I remember the feeling of utter disbelief when kaspa got caught behind with 3 runs or something to go. Never forget that.
...except that it was two runs :icon_cheers:
[post="0"]http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus/content/story/215305.html[/post]

I like that prediction a lot!

T20 is slap and tickle entertainment at best, give me a test match any day of the week.

Incidentally our cricket coach this season is over in Holland coaching the Netherlands side (he used to play under 18's for Oz too), so its another aussie giving it to the Poms - gold!

Also read the KP has an achilles injury that could flare up again at any time ruling him out of selection...

I think Hilf needs to play, as he can extract some great swing in English conditions.

Cant wait for this series to start... :icon_cheers:

England starting to run into some T20 form... good for them! They're busy running themselves ragged over a trophy worth diddly squat and risking injuries. This is sounding like the making of a good, old-fashioned, English excuse.

All the while the Aussie team, tactfully, threw a couple of matches (and threw out Symmo) so they could bow out of the (well described by raven) slap-and-tickle fest and concentrate on proper cricket!

The English have a lot of catching up to do...

threw out symmo,???
poor bugger was doing what cricketers did for years,remember boonys effort, 54 cans before he even stepped foot on english soil.
hooksey, dougy walters etc, those where the days, good cricket and good times,now it seems to be that you cannot have so much fun on tour,let alone have a few quiet ones
do you guys think that effects the players? .

It's no longer the 80s/90s. As much as I'd love to see Merv- and Boony-like characters running around on the field it just won't happen in this day and age. It's a professional sport and these fellers get paid shiteloads to be fit, play sport to their full potential and be role models. There's that, and then there's the massive amount of media coverage today, cameras everywhere and pathetic journos doing anything to put out a decent story.

A few quiet ones wouldn't have much of an effect, providing it's not on the eve of a match. The problem is... a few quiet ones can often lead to a few more. The Symmo case was clear cut; he'd had plenty of previous issues centred around alcohol and was told to stop drinking altogether on tour or be sent home. Symmo clearly doesn't want to play international cricket anymore, it's too much work.

Besides, why would you bother with all the responsibility of being an international cricketer when you can earn just as much moolah by playing in the IPL for 1-2 months a year, and getting pissed and going fishing for the rest of it?

My apologies.

Man, wouldn't it be good if The Nether-regions actually became a serious cricket nation though? We could finally do something with that Australia vs Holland thing they always try to manufacture around the Olympics.

Wow, I wasn't aware of this. However, I really don't pay attention to the Olympics.

England pumped WI in the test series. WI then pumped us in the T20 first round game. Does that mean we're in for a long Winter? No. T20 means nothing.

We will win the Ashes if Hughes keeps on piling on the runs like he has been in country cricket. And the selectors pick the right side. We outplayed SA with Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus as the strike bowlers. English conditions will only help Siddle and Hilfy especially. I really don't want to see Lee or Clark play ahead any of the three incumbents.

I really tried to like 20Twenty. It just doesn't do anything for me.

It's no longer the 80s/90s. As much as I'd love to see Merv- and Boony-like characters running around on the field it just won't happen in this day and age. It's a professional sport and these fellers get paid shiteloads to be fit, play sport to their full potential and be role models. There's that, and then there's the massive amount of media coverage today, cameras everywhere and pathetic journos doing anything to put out a decent story.

A few quiet ones wouldn't have much of an effect, providing it's not on the eve of a match. The problem is... a few quiet ones can often lead to a few more. The Symmo case was clear cut; he'd had plenty of previous issues centred around alcohol and was told to stop drinking altogether on tour or be sent home. Symmo clearly doesn't want to play international cricket anymore, it's too much work.

Besides, why would you bother with all the responsibility of being an international cricketer when you can earn just as much moolah by playing in the IPL for 1-2 months a year, and getting pissed and going fishing for the rest of it?

+1 here. I *really* like Symonds and was in his camp for far longer than most people. He's a really talented player who just tried the patience of the selecters way too many times. He has probably lost millions because he was a dick. What sort of a professional cricket player turns up to a ODI drunk?

It would be a real shame if the Poms copped more injuries in the T20 with the Ashes only 3 weeks away...

Simmo.... what a clown. As stated already Cricket is a Professional sport nowadays, no excuses..., IMO on his form he would not have played a test match over there anyway.

So I found out last night that SBS are showing the Ashes on Free to Air TV - woohoo!!!!!!

No Lee, surely they will bring in Clark infront of Hauritz?

We have enough part time spinners that can take more wickets that Horror.

Shame Hilf wont get a game, he loves swinging decks...

Bring on a great series where the Aussies win!

No Lee, surely they will bring in Clark infront of Hauritz?

I'm pretty sure they'll go for Siddle, Johnson, Clark and Hauritz... though I'd rather McDonald for Hauritz!

The broadcast team on SBS is going to be grand...

Mister Footwork - Damien Martyn
The Whiney Wino - Stuart MacGill
Yo bro, I'm Mo - Greg Matthews

Sleepless nights here we come!

Latest posts

Back