The Asafa Powell Of Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobsta

Reaction score
i threw down my stout the other day

recipe:
Stout Recipe

1 can Coopers Stout
500g Light Dry Malt Extract
1kg Dark Dry Malt Extract
150g Golden Syrup
About 250g of Morgan's Roasted Dark Malt Syrup (Very Dark LME)
175g Lindt '85% Cocoa' chocolate
20g Nescafe Alta Rica Instant Coffee
65g golding of fuggles Hop Pellets - 20 @ 20, 20 @ 10 and 10 @ 1
2 Pkt Safale - 04
Making up to 23L approx
Pitching at 18 degrees

LDME was boiled for the full 20 with the first hop addition,
Choc, Golden syrup, DDME was added @ 5
Coffee was added at 1
VDLME and Can of Coopers Stout were added at Flame out
Yeast was just sprinkled on top of aerated wort
OG=1080 :blink:

The yeast kicked off within 10 hours at the most and i kept the thing at 18-20 the whole time.

my question is this... It seemed to have finished sunday, and i put it down last wednesday (thats a 4 day ferment), is this to be expected coz of the 2 packs of yeast, or is it still fermenting VERY slowly? There is still a thick-ish layer of what i think is yeast (looks like peanut butter) on the top of the wort. i havent taken a SG reading coz its only 6 days into the ferment now and i was expecting with all those fermentables that this was gonna take some time...

What do ya reckon?

Lobby

Did you take an OG reading Lobby?

If not, what is the gravity now?

when experimenting like it seems you are, I always take one!

FHG

Did you take an OG reading Lobby?

If not, what is the gravity now?

when experimenting like it seems you are, I always take one!

FHG

the og was 1080 as i said in my original post, and the sg sits at 1022 atm

That could be it, although the yeast may have slowed down to a snails pace. Leave it for a few days to be sure.

Oddly enough, my oatmeal stout had appeared to run out of ommph at 1024 after 4 days using Nottingham dry yeast. I just racked it into a secondary fermentor and the wort shows signs of a slower continuing ferment. I'd expect the SG to get down to 1018 from past experience (beersmith reckons 1016).
So I'd give yours at least 7 days - do a gravity reading every day or so.

Oddly enough, my oatmeal stout had appeared to run out of ommph at 1024 after 4 days using Nottingham dry yeast. I just racked it into a secondary fermentor and the wort shows signs of a slower continuing ferment. I'd expect the SG to get down to 1018 from past experience (beersmith reckons 1016).
So I'd give yours at least 7 days - do a gravity reading every day or so.

i was going to leave it on the cake for at least a week after it is finished fermenting anyway, so ill take gravity readings over the next few days and see how it goes. the airlock is still bubbling slowly, but it could just be gas escaping.

does beersmith do kits and chocolate and shit like that? thats pretty cool...

hopefully this beast will taste pretty ok, but if it doesnt, im not too fusssed, coz its my swap beer, and its being exchanged for 15 better beers :p :D hahahaha

Lobby

Two tips with S04
1. Don't rack it off the yeast to early if you don't like diacetyl
2. S04 sometimes goes to sleep on the job and benefits from a good rousing if you want to attenuate down as much as possible.

Two tips with S04
1. Don't rack it off the yeast to early if you don't like diacetyl
2. S04 sometimes goes to sleep on the job and benefits from a good rousing if you want to attenuate down as much as possible.

aah, thankya muchly. was planning on leaving it there for a while. might go give the fermenter a good kick now to wake up those lazy yeasties

Lobby

aah, thankya muchly. was planning on leaving it there for a while. might go give the fermenter a good kick now to wake up those lazy yeasties

Lobby
Don't kick it just pick the fermenter up and swirl it around to get it all mixed up, or get a stainless mixing paddle from a kitchen supply place.

Reckon it's done, thats an apparent attenuation of 70% for a yeast that only achieves around 73%. The yeast company attenuation figures are usually for low - medium gravity wort of good fermentability. Using extract which has less fermentables I would thing she's done. If you get the same gravity reading in 3 days or so, then there's no use tying up the fermenter any longer.

Cheers,

Screwy

Reckon it's done, thats an apparent attenuation of 70% for a yeast that only achieves around 73%. The yeast company attenuation figures are usually for low - medium gravity wort of good fermentability. Using extract which has less fermentables I would thing she's done. If you get the same gravity reading in 3 days or so, then there's no use tying up the fermenter any longer.

Cheers,

Screwy
O, to live in a brewery where "tying up the fermenter" is a valid concern :p

does beersmith do kits and chocolate and shit like that? thats pretty cool...

I just dl'd the trial version and love it. As long as you know what you're doing you can put pretty much anything into the program to make it figure stuff out for you. Kits are no more than liquid extract with set EBC and IBU parameters. eg, Coopers Original Series 'Real Ale' = 230EBC, 560IBU. Of course, hopping in them is usually minimal at best with most kits but generally you can work with or over the top of what is there and come out with something alright.

As for your stout, looks like a winner! Let us know how it goes, eh?

- boingk

Yes it may be done but more than likely not cleaned up the diacetyl yet, speaking from experience.

Latest posts

Back