The 20 Minute Miracle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobboMC

Reaction score
I've been lacking any time to brew lately; and a visiting brewer saw the growing stack of clean emptied bottles and suggested this. "Every brew hasn't got to be a comp level masterpiece"
"get a can of Dark Ale and a kg of 'sugar' and just fill some bottles"

Baby was asleep and I had less than an hour so I had a crack at the world's fastest kit brew.
I started with a clean fermenter and 2 boiled jugs.

It went something like this:
Minute 1 - Open dme and chuck into fermenter
Add jugful of boiling water and swirl and mix
Pop kit into hot water
Minute 3 - Chuck whole kg of brew enhancer into fermenter
Minute 6 - Open kit and chuck into fermenter, rinse can with boiling water
Open can of specialty malt and chuck a few cupfuls into fermenter
Minute 8 - Chuck another jugful of boiling water in and swirl and stir
Minute 11 - Chuck small block of ice into fermenter
Minute 12 - Fill up with cold tap water,
Minute 14 - Quick look at temp to make sure I won't kill yeast
Minute 15 - Pitch yeast
Minute 16 - Screw on lid and pop into insulated box
Minute 18 - Mop up kitchen; put rubbish in bin
Minute 19 - Put stirrer away
Minute 20 - Light incense to overcome malt smell.

OG - who knows?
But somehow I now have a full fermenter sitting at 18 deg C and starting to bubble nicely

Complete kit brew done in less than 20 minutes!
Who says you don't have enough time to brew!

I might even stick one in the Hills Brew Comp if they run that kit only class again for Australian Old to get an objective measure of quality.

Used to take me 30 minutes to put down three brews when I did kits.
Always had three going at all times.

Cheers,
Bud

yeah thats what mine have been like lately 3 batches done in about an hour.

Minute 20 - Light incense to overcome malt smell.

I don't quite understand that final step... Malt Aromas are a bad thing?!?! Who wouldn't want their house smelling like a candy store?

I was thinking the same regarding the malt aroma... It's the best smell you usually get from a kit beer :)

I hope to design a home brewery that gets a brew done with <2 minutes of operator supervision!

I'm in the middle of a boil right now and really I've only done 25 min work so far, the rest of the time has been sitting around waiting for the mash and now the boil.

Prepare and fill urn, rig up bag and get grain bill ready. 10 mins
Dough in , wrap urn, walk away 5 mins
Hoist bag and walk away 3 mins
Squeeze bag, dispose, hang hopsock 5 mins
Weigh hops and lower hopsock 2 mins

Get back to forum :p

It'll get more serious later however with filling the cube and the cleanup, polishing the urn, doing the yeast starter for tomorrow etc. However that will be after beer oclock so will give me lots of excuses to go back to the garage where the beer fridge just happens to be :)

I'm in the middle of a boil right now and really I've only done 25 min work so far, the rest of the time has been sitting around waiting for the mash and now the boil.

Funny how much time you can spend just watching the mash/boil do its thing :lol:

How much longer do you usually spend on a kit brew?

That's the real issue. I haven't done a kit brew for about 2 years; and my extract partials are taking longer
and longer. I suppose I would spend close to an hour in the early days when it was read instructions, do one step,
read instructions again, and so on.You have to be confident in your intentions to work fast.

Three brews in 30 minutes budweiser, that's good going, I can't use a can opener that fast!

Starve the lizards -

Have to get one of those Brewzer kits.

Kit contains, among other things

1 x 10 pint miracle beer powder
tspacer.gif

Oh, lordy lordy

ESB Wort kits take less than 10 minutes to prepare and if your clean fermeter has had a solution of sodium met in storage you can make the beer in about 5 minutes .

Latest posts

Back