The $20 Challenge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to try giving a group of people 5kg of grain, 50g of hops and a pouch of yeast each (all the same) and seeing what variation could be achieved purely through manipulating the process. You all get together three months later and see where everyone else ended up!

Hopefully something high on the list of things to do for the 'Adelaide Mash Brewers' ........

The Grumpys Stammtisch challenge worked on that principle.

2 words....Jump mash. Super cheap, but dead hard to get right.

Is that what's also referred to as a stepped mash where the mash is initially 'rested' at a lower temp to get better wetting of the grains and wake up the enzymes for better efficiency? I'm interested in trying to adapt this to BIAB as I'll be looking to improve efficiency.

I'm a bit frustrated with often spending up to $30 on "just" a partial so I'm following this thread with interest B)

Do tell.

C&B
TDA

Just found [topic="26321"]this topic[/topic] about jump mashing as I too was curious...
Cheers.

Edit: I don't think the link works, seems I have some more homework to do on posting links.
Edit 2: Link fixed (I hope)

A wit always come in cheap, not many hops and raw wheat is cheap, few spices and fruit from the kitchen.

Just found [topic="26321"]this topic[/topic] about jump mashing as I too was curious...
Cheers.

Edit: I don't think the link works, seems I have some more homework to do on posting links.
Edit 2: Link fixed (I hope)

I get it, not so much a stepped mash as a hop, skip, and jump mash :p Sounds a bit too much like Birrell for my taste but I suppose alcholic strength isn't the be all and end all, hey.

I get it, not so much a stepped mash as a hop, skip, and jump mash :p Sounds a bit too much like Birrell for my taste but I suppose alcholic strength isn't the be all and end all, hey.

Actually, I need to repost in that thread....I did it as a double batch. The first ones were off....they ended up too low in grav, and were a bit thin. THe second time I did it, I hit all the targets.....I went from 1026 to 1010, and that was with nottingham. I'm actually drinking one now, carbed low, headed with my go anywhere pocket sparkler.....as far as body is concerned, it's disturbingly normal. Not entirely unlike a normal mild ale that started life with an OG in the mid to high thirties....
And to bring it back to topic, its a ridiculously small grain bill, so its ridiculously cheap. I didn't do it cos it was cheap, I did it cos it was a challenge.....cheapness is just a happy consequence. :lol:

Latest posts

Back