That Taste Just After Boiling (and Cooling)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHD

Reaction score
I'm not to worried (beers have worked out with this taste before) , just curious as to what causes that harsh bitter/astringent taste with freshly made wort (pre ferment) it seems to disapear a few days into the ferment, is it hop resins? Where does it go (volitile?)? does the presence of them affect the beer in later stages (ie indicitive of something else)?

I'd be curious to know too, the first time i tasted it i thought I'd screwed something up but the beer turned out fine. next brew, there was that taste again. odd this is brew's I've done before those two I didn't notice it (one was even on the same day) and also one since.

edit: whoops, im an idiot. didnt realise this was in the AG forums :p

MHD said:
I'm not to worried (beers have worked out with this taste before) , just curious as to what causes that harsh bitter/astringent taste with freshly made wort (pre ferment) it seems to disapear a few days into the ferment, is it hop resins? Where does it go (volitile?)? does the presence of them affect the beer in later stages (ie indicitive of something else)?
[post="123618"][/post]​

MHD.

Think you may have answered your own question. :)

Warren -

Latest posts

Back