Tempmate Probe Installation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmarkey

Reaction score
G'day All

Ok, just purchased the Tempmate temperature control unit and have just finished wiring it up...but I was wondering whether I will have to drill holes in the fridge to insert the probe unit or have the probe wires hanging out of the fridge door - which I am trying to avoid??? If there is a better way to go, I would be very interested in hearing from ya?

Cheers

Magnum

Welcome aboard Magnum.

I take it the tempmate is for a fermentation fridge... yes? If so it is the best step in getting the correct fermentation temps out.

I have mine just go under the seal (between the door seal and the door frame) the seal closes well enough on it. This way it is easy to take out as I also use my tempmate to control my HLT when I am brewing. If you are to drill a hole in the fridge for the probe to go through just be sure you don't drill though any gas lines.

Gavo.

mine runs between the seal and frame. there is such a small gap for air it doesnt do much damage to the cooling. tape it if you dont want it to move about. I dont want to drill because
a) it will then only be a beer fridge for ever
B) i dont think there is any advantage as i dont look at it (down the side of the house)
c) i am lazy
d) really lazy

Seek out the condensation drain and feed it up through there. I use whippersnipper line as the thing to find the route and then pull the cable through with it.

I've now done it on four fridges/freezers and it is somewhat nicer than the Seal Method.

Seek out the condensation drain and feed it up through there. I use whippersnipper line as the thing to find the route and then pull the cable through with it.

I've now done it on four fridges/freezers and it is somewhat nicer than the Seal Method.

+ 1 for feeding the probe wire through a drain. You can often find gromets on the back of the fridge where the wires enter for the light and things like that also.

G'day SpillsMostOfIt
Thanks very much for that info re: route it through the condensation drain. I will give that a go first and if that fails then I will resort to the seal 'n' frame method. I also neglected to ask about the heating element wires, would you employ the same method going through the Condensor drain or is there an alternative path to avoid any electrical mishaps should water come into contact with the live wires of the heating unit????
Thanks
Magnum

... the heating element wires, would you employ the same method going through the Condensor drain or is there an alternative path to avoid any electrical mishaps should water come into contact with the live wires of the heating unit????

To do this, you will have to dismantle the power cord of the heater and remantle it. If you're comfortable with that, then okay. I figure that if the cord loops such that any moisture cannot find its way to the heater or the electrical plug, you're good to go. If there is another vector for moisture to come into contact with live wires, I think you might have bigger problems... ;)

Some people seem to think you don't need a heater in a fridge for fermenting because the exodus of heat from fermentation will exceed that through the fridge. If that works for you, the problem is solved. I would employ the Seal Method in preference to the Boring A Hole Through The Side Of The Fridge And Possibly Buggering It Method.

Hello

I have a temp control (Very close to tempmate) and I have feed th probe threw the drain hole. I am just wondering where the best place to put the probe is??? I seen a picture some one put foam on the side and the probe was between the foam and fermenter. Is this the best way?? how have others done it

Hello

I have a temp control (Very close to tempmate) and I have feed th probe threw the drain hole. I am just wondering where the best place to put the probe is??? I seen a picture some one put foam on the side and the probe was between the foam and fermenter. Is this the best way?? how have others done it

You're opening Pandora's Box with that question. There are at least as many answers as there are people who have an opinion on the subject.

I suggest you stick with the picture and experiment. You will not go too far wrong.

Yeah thanks.

The only concern I have with this method is yes its measuring the wort temp but when the fridge kicks in and the wort reaches its temp the fridge will cut off but wont the wort keep cooling as the air around the fermenter will be less then the wort temp.

If the probe wasnt attached to the wort then the fridge will be consistant but the wort will prob be higher then the fridge.

so would it be better to stick it on the fermenter then turn the fridge on half instead of having it on the coldest setting?? least then the air around the fermenter wont be as cold when it cuts off. but in saying that the fridge will run longer so yeah not sure what way to go.

What *I* do is to attach the probe to the side of the fermenter above the high water mark. That way it measures something near to some of the beer in my fridge and I expect the actual beer temperature to be some temperature near the average of the measured temperature.

The number of opinions on the matter stand as evidence to the fact it is an inexact science.

A search of this site will probably reveal most if not more of those opinions.

Edit: additional information for extra points.

I just place a piece of foam around the probe and tape it to the side of the fermenter.

Not the most scientific approach but it works. Set your tempmate to the correct temp and away ya go!!

My fridge probably turns on/off way to many times but I couldn't be arsed working out how to run the whole thing more efficiently.

having said that, once things settle down, the fridge hardly kicks in at all.

Cheers
Q

Again similar to the last post. What "I" do is attach the tempmate probe directly in contact to the side of the fermentor and cover the probe with a thick stubby cooler. I keep the whole thing in place with a piece of elastic around the girth of the fermenter.

To answer the OP, I feed the temp probe between the seal of the fridge. The gap left is negilible, if none.

"I" also set the tempmate .5 degree below what I consider my target temp. I figure the thermal mass and the fledfects of thermal lag are accomodated.

I have a second thermomometer that tells me the air temp I've also noted that if you were to put the wort in above target temp, the fridge will chill lower for a while and after a day or so it will achieve the target temp, both in the air and at the probe.

I figure this is strides ahead of trying to control temp with a water bath, ice blocks, wet towel and a fan.

Edit: splng... and too slow

...I suggest you stick with the picture and experiment. You will not go too far wrong.
Yep agree the best plan on temp control/fluctuation/probe location is to do some experimenting. Check out some of the discussion [post="411990"]here[/post].

Re the OP I also run the wires between the door and the rubber seal. I use a bit of blu tack next to the wires to seal any small gaps. Works a treat and no drilling required.

yeah thanks. the temp in the fridge seems to be good doesnt seem to be to much of a overshoot. But I do think the fridge is on its way out maybe had or has a gas leak as it seems to take ages to cool but only cycling once or twice a day hopefully it will last a few brews (least it was free)

Latest posts

Back