Temperature Tolerance Of My Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaidpaint

Reaction score
Just wondering what temperature is likely to damage my hydrometer. I remember the instructions warned not to boil it, but at the time I was only doing kit brewing and never needed to check the SG of anything even remotely hot. Now that I've started on the slippery slope to AG brewing, I'm finding myself needing to check the gravity of hotter liquids. For my first couple batches, I just took a sample and put in in the fridge to cool, but I'd like to know if I'm safe just dropping it in the mash tun (~67 C hopefully :D) to get a more immediate reading.

You are much better off drawing off a sample into your hydrometer tube,
or other vessel, and cooling the sample to the correct temperature for your
particular hydrometer, and taking the reading then.

It is not a good idea putting your hydrometer into a mash tun , kettle or
fermentor.

Regards

Graeme

I've never had a problem at these temperatures - you will, of course, need to adjust your reading to compensate - most brewing software can do this for you.

Are you intending to try to measure gravity directly in the mash tun? I would have thought it was impossible because of all the suspended grist - probably better to run some off into a volumetric flask to take the measurement.

One suggestion - invest in a hydrometer. I've got mine recently, and it makes taking gravity readings SO much easier during a brewday.

Just wondering what temperature is likely to damage my hydrometer. I remember the instructions warned not to boil it, but at the time I was only doing kit brewing and never needed to check the SG of anything even remotely hot. Now that I've started on the slippery slope to AG brewing, I'm finding myself needing to check the gravity of hotter liquids. For my first couple batches, I just took a sample and put in in the fridge to cool, but I'd like to know if I'm safe just dropping it in the mash tun (~67 C hopefully :D) to get a more immediate reading.

You are much better off drawing off a sample into your hydrometer tube,
or other vessel, and cooling the sample to the correct temperature for your
particular hydrometer, and taking the reading then.

It is not a good idea putting your hydrometer into a mash tun , kettle or
fermentor.

Regards

Graeme

Graeme beat me to it. It is also sinfully difficult to get an accurate reading if you try to measure gravity in the mash tun/kettle because you simply can't see the meniscus clearly.....

One suggestion - invest in a hydrometer. I've got mine recently, and it makes taking gravity readings SO much easier during a brewday.

should this read "invest in a refractometer" JonnyAnchovy?

I am assuming it should.

I would second this advice if so. Refractometer is the best thing i have bought for my brewery in the last couple of years. (besides temp control, spare fridge, spare spare fridge....you get the point....)

Thanks guys. I'm doing BIAB, so when I say mash tun, there isn't any grain left when I'm checking. Just didn't want to say I was planning on dropping the thing into the kettle. Even though they're the same thing...

And having said that, the kettle is really just a stock pot, so to draw a sample, I have to dunk a measuring cup into it, as it doesn't have a tap. I guess since it'll be boiling later, there won't really be any risk of contamination, so I shouldn't worry.

It's more just a rough check to see if I'll need to add water or more grain spargings (sorry, don't know the technical term :) ) to get an appropriate OG.

you know those plastic tubes hydrometers come in? no good for hot samples, trust me get a good glass one, the plastic ones melt...very quickly

My refractometer was $30 from ebay. I'd say it's probably safer to spent the $30 than to use a hydrometer in anything that hot.

My refractometer was $30 from ebay. I'd say it's probably safer to spent the $30 than to use a hydrometer in anything that hot.

yeah i agree. Also three drops on the glass face and you've got your "sample". Quick and easy (once you get used to using them)

should this read "invest in a refractometer" JonnyAnchovy?

I am assuming it should.

I would second this advice if so. Refractometer is the best thing i have bought for my brewery in the last couple of years. (besides temp control, spare fridge, spare spare fridge....you get the point....)

Yep. My brain has been broken all today - I can barely seem to get a single intelligible sentence out.

Refractometer FTW

My solution was to take samples in an airtight container, so you don't evaporate off half your sample, and chuck them in the freezer; it gets down to sample tube friendly temps pretty quickly.

Back